My First Cycle Readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it was already cured then that would explain it. I do agree with Scott that maybe a double check at the LFS would be good.

I would not be able to til next weekend my days are pretty fulled til then, and then i could take some down there and get a reading but by that time who know what else could happen.... But i wouldn't be adding fish anytime soon any ways maybe not for another 3 weeks or so unless my cycle is actually complete..... I really want to make sure I have a good cycle 2 put any thing in there I don't want my fishes to die..... :-(

Alright I went down to my LFS and they did a second water test these where the readings

Ammonia 0.0PPM
Nitrate 0.0PPM
Nitrite 0.0 PPM
PH 8.0
SG 1.022
I brought enough for them to check the SG they said pretty much if I had Fully cured rock from and established tank that I should be ready to go..... I'm just still worried that something isn't right..... The LFS guy was very knowledgeable he was and older guy 2 said he has done SW tanks for over 20 years I was like WOW..... But appranetly he also said that if my cycle only took 1 week with fully cured rock I was ready to go.... He also said to do a 30% water change to get my PH level back up..... What do you guys think.... I feel lost....

Try a pinch of flake and take an ammonia reading in 3-4 days. If there is no ammonia reading you are good as gold.
I'm not sure why a PWC would increase the pH on a permanent basis. You can simply make more surface ripple or removing your lid (if you have one).

That's why I said I felt lost, it didn't seem right to PWC so soon..... Well I don't have any marine flakes or anything the only flakes I have is Tetra Goldfish Flakes ....LOL

That will be fine, but I suggest you get food for SW fish.

I surely will.... I was thinking about running over to Petsmart real fast since they are around the corner and pick some up I eventually i will need it....

Thanks roka....

Anytime! You can also make your own mush from seafood stuff at your local grocery store.

so it not a good idea to run yorue skimmer while cycling new tank??
I was but from what I heard not to..... If your cycling a new tank you don't want to because it can cause your level to be all over the place.... meaning ammonia, nitrate nitrite, and i believe your PH level as well...... What are you running now?

Readings After Adding Flakes

Alright.... I added some flakes in my tank on Friday and today I checked my Ammonia levels and everything else and these were my readings

Ammonia 0.0 PPM
Nitrate 0.0 PPM
Nitrate 0.0 PPM
PH 7.8
SG 1.023
Water temp 79.5

What should I do now.... I added more than enought flakes to hopefully get some spike but nothing..... oh just to add I am using regular tap water in our water system they add flouride in our water systems no ammonia or cholrine....

Actually just read a report on our drinking water no chloramine but there is very low levels of cholrine and Flouride.....

If I'm not mistaken, if you aerate the water for at least 24 hours, that should get the chlorine out (I'm on well water, so someone that knows for sure please confirm or deny). You also have to take into consideration what is in the water today might be different a week from now....

Our water comes from Lake Michigan what chemical they put in there was all I could read on.... But you thik it could be the Prime conidtioner thats causing me not to have an Ammonia Spike? I use it to conidtion the water before I add salt to it.... I am thinking it's killing off any Ammonia Spike I get..... I mean my LR seem fine and everything my hermit s are looking great I saw them yesterday Huddled around the Diatoms thats growning in my tank (Eat away).... I am just wondering with the amount of Rock I got and I weighted it... it's about 42.3 LBs of rock I Picked up that was Fully cured... I am wondering if I just had a Mini cycle.... and that was it I called the guy I got the rock from he has confirmed it was all fully cured becasue it was in his Tank for 5 years he said at first he said 3 but it was the tank he had for 3 years the LR he had for 5 in another tank.... That also why there was so much Coralline on the rock.... Sorry i am just trying to make since off all this nothing seems to be working right if I did something wrong not to get a High Ammonia Spike....:n00b:

If you have enough beneficial bacteria in your cured LR (which it sounds like you do), the ammonia spike will not happen because the bacteria is already converting it to nitrItes and nitrAtes, before you can get the reading.

Last edited:
Ah I see..... But i'm getting zero reading for Nitrite and Nitrate aren't those suppose to be at zero....????

Yep. Once you start adding critters to your tank and food, your nitrAtes may go up. Just keep them below 20ppm for FOWLR and less than 10 for reef.

Back
Top Bottom