My first lesson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

X the Outsider

Aquarium Advice Freak
Even though some people say puffers and lions can go together it may not be the best idea. My puffer was picking on my lion last night. So I came home tonight, and my lion is almost stripped of his fins. So what should I do?

Not sure what to tell you about those two in a 29g tank since I have no experience with either fish, but that small tank could be the problem. You say folks have told you they can do fine together, but they probably meant in a more suitable environment.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I agree, your tank my be a bit too small for bogh of those fish. They can both be aggressive. I am not sure what you can do about healing your lion. Where are you at in IA? I grew up in Sheldon and went to school in Ames (go Cyclones!)
Welcome to AA!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

you need to get the lion out of there ASAP, wether it be to a larger tank or back to the pet store, both of those fish will not survive long in such a small tank, they are very messy fish which creates a very high bioload. they are also very agressive, which is magnified in such a small tank. i would reccommend melafix as a treatment for the lion, this will both help to heal his wounds and prevent bacterial infections in them.

Actually, to be honest a 29 gallon is not apropriate for either of those fish. Depending on the type of puffer you have, many of them require a system of 55-100 gallons or more for the adult size. Even a little tight for a dwarf lion.
Its your call, but I would suggest either a tank upgrade, or return the fish for more appropriate stock.
Not trying to be harsh, just would like you to succeed. :)

This is what really irks me about this hobby. I've been told those two would be fine in a tank of that size together or by themselves. I know it's no one's fault on here, but now I've got an injured fish who is no longer eating, and a puffer who will probably attack anything else I put in there. I have a Valentini Puffer, but according to every book they only grow to about 5 inches. I'll see what I can do about getting the lion back to health, and maybe a friend will take the puffer.

Thank you all for the advice!

Lando I grew up in Huxley about nine miles south of Ames, and I live in Ankeny now.

Back
Top Bottom