Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My first near catastrophe!

The hose just came off my pump and it started spewing water everywhere. Luckily I was near the tank and shut it off quickly. Still had lots of water to clean up inside my stand and on my carpet.

Surely I'm not the first....

Any advice on how to keep the hose attached to the pump?

How about cleaning the carpet? Do I need to do anything special since it is salt water? Or can I just soak it up with a towel?

Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callen View Post
The hose just came off my pump and it started spewing water everywhere. Luckily I was near the tank and shut it off quickly. Still had lots of water to clean up inside my stand and on my carpet.

Surely I'm not the first....

Any advice on how to keep the hose attached to the pump?

How about cleaning the carpet? Do I need to do anything special since it is salt water? Or can I just soak it up with a towel?
If its rubber hose hooking up to a plastic nozzle(hopefully a ribbed nozzle) then use a stainless steel metal clamp. That's what I have and had 0 problems

Cleaning the carpet is another thing Lol sorry I'm not too sure, never had a massive spill before :/

Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use industrial grade (or just really strong) zip ties. I too had a major leak, about 40 gallons flowed freely. I was in the other room wondering where that water noise was coming from....before I panicked.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

both great ideas! I did a hose clamp..it sits above the water level, so I think it will be OK. Thinking I might do the rest of the connections. I've got a bag of zip ties, so couldn't hurt.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callen View Post
both great ideas! I did a hose clamp..it sits above the water level, so I think it will be OK. Thinking I might do the rest of the connections. I've got a bag of zip ties, so couldn't hurt.
I would go with nylon hose clamps. The metal ones will rust over time. I put 2 on each of mine. The zip tie sounds like a good idea, but the nylon hose clamps are removable if needed and are designed to do the job properly. Inexpensive so buy extras (the proper size) if you get them. Local hardware stores should have them. Leaks are one thing I dont play around with or rig!!

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com