my first post.let me intoduce myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gnovak87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
40 gal breeder black stand. 2 200 penquin Bio wheel with some kind of protien Skimmer (hang on) maybe somebody could identify it. About 20-30 lbs live rock. Crushed corrosion Ans live sand for substrate. 175 Watt metal halide. I just started the cycle 2 days ago. Let me know what ya think

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110327_194640.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110327_194640.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 132
  • ForumRunner_20110327_194658.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110327_194658.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 130
Sounds like a plan!

Welcome to the forums, lots of great helpful people here so don't be shy. :)

yes, welcome to the forum.
i think you should turn those lights off! you don't want the lights on during the cycle, unless you like algae. get a few more pieces of rock too.
i have never seen the skimmer before. any markings on it? how about on the pump?

Is that light a good one? I bought this set up a couple years ago. I've gone through 3 bulbs so far. It has external ballest. What should temp be? And the live rock that's in There is dead. Can or will it come alive?

it will come back to life.
as for the lighting, yeah, that will work for you, for now.
what do you mean you already went through 3 bulbs? in 2 days?

No the past 3 years. I Had a salt tank but put it aside I had the live rock sitting in water the whole time. I cleaning it with scrub brush before I put in There. I'm ready to start it back up. But I'm really rusty on the whole hobby so maybe you can spot me a tip or two if you see that I'm doing something out if the ordinary. : ) I'm going to try to use This as a blog and post as I go.

sure. i'll do what i can. i'm rehabbing a house right now so internet time is limited, but i've been living the hobby on here while i don't have a tank of my own right now. i'd be glad to help.

What do you think of all the filtration do you think power head is necessary? Iowa's going tobuy one but didnt know if it would be to much

the HOB filters are good, if you clean them out regularly. don't let the filter pads get all gunked up. if you are intending to keep corals, i would want more flow than the 2 HOBs provide.

sure. i'll do what i can. i'm rehabbing a house right now so internet time is limited, but i've been living the hobby on here while i don't have a tank of my own right now. i'd be glad to help.

You don't have a tank of your own right now? What happened to your " lab".... Doug not having a tank is like tiger woods not having a set of clubs

I haven't checked any of thar except salenity. Its at 023-024 right now. I'm going to but a test kit in tomorow. I check fir nitrite nitrate and ammonia Right? And when it goes to zero its good? I realize TS a cycle and one will go to zero then one will spike then go to zero. I don't know the order though. Tank is crystal clear And looking good.

You need to have seen the ammonia go up to about 3.0 or higher - unless you started off with established rock that would absorb that stuff. Just focus on the ammonia and nitrite first. Check our articles section and read up on SW tank cycling. You have a bit to learn about it before its too late.

Here's the thing. U was doing fresh water before I desided to do salt again. Just a couple gold fish and a baricuda. I cleaned most of the stuff in the substrate and added 20 # live sand. I drained the water down to about half. Put water (well water) to top and added salt. About how long does it take for the ammonia spike first couple days? Do u thunk I should start over? Thanks for the helpful info.

No offense, but folks are a lot more willing to help when you know the very basics. You'll see. Good luck with your new tank by the way.

Back
Top Bottom