My First Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nickotopolous

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi i am setting up my first reef tank which is 116 gallons (450 litres). I was wondering what sort of fish/ corals you would reccomend for a beginner and how many fish i could have.

Clowns are very good beginner fish IMO. They are very hardy too. Also, look into PJ cardinals, they are hardy. Need to be kept in odd numbers of 3 or more. Look at gobys, blennys, firefish, chalk bass, tangs, chromis, and anthias.

Clowns are very good beginner fish IMO. They are very hardy too. Also, look into PJ cardinals, they are hardy. Need to be kept in odd numbers of 3 or more. Look at gobys, blennys, firefish, chalk bass, tangs, chromis, and anthias.
Would a regal tang be alright? also how many fish do u reccomend i keeP?

Never really looked at regals before, I was hinting more towards the kole tang as I have found that they are hardy from what I have read. The number of fish you keep depends on the temperment, size, and bioload of each fish. Put together a stock list and we can help you add fish to the list and tell you what fish need to be scratched from the list and what needs to be added when.

Just tossing up ideas in my previous post.

The hippo tang would be OK for that size tank but they are sort of an ick magnet. I would maybe try the yellow or yellow eyed kole tang to start with. Those are much more hardier. A goby and maybe a blenny. Let me tell you what rule number 1 is. Before you bring a fish home make sure you see it eat first. Many a person has brought a fish home and it would not eat prepared foods and it would starve to death.

I dont think anyone else has mentioned it, but good choice starting big, youve already improved your chances.
And remember to go slow on stocking

Welcome to AA. I just purchased a Yellow and Kole tang today. Best of luck on your first SW tank!

rule number 1 is. Before you bring a fish home make sure you see it eat first. Many a person has brought a fish home and it would not eat prepared foods and it would starve to death.

Really?! Thankx I will make sure I do that as well. I would never thought of that on my own thank you once again!

alot of people want to remove the damsel later on and they are tricky little fish to catch but all fish are most people remove them because they will sometimes fight clowns and some just want more room in thier tank to add more exotic fish without having to many fish but as you have a big tank i dont see why you would have a problem with the damsel :) i like my blue damsel but i just wish i could catch him so i can add another clown to my tank.

Two ways to do things with your sand. If you put the sand in first then blow up a small trash bag and put it in the tank. Pour the water on it so it dont stir up the water that much or put the water in and take a PVC pipe and slide the sand down to the tank floor and place it where it needs to be. There are other ways but those have been the easiest to me.

Back
Top Bottom