My First Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shimergloom26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I have finally started my 29 gallon reef tank this weekend. I got everything tested and set up. Here is a list of my equipment.
-200 gallons of reef crystal salt mix
-18.5 pounds live rock
-24.5 pounds of dry base rock
-20 pounds live Fiji pink sand
-20 pounds live reef sand
-30 gallons ro/di water
-box of chemi pure
-box of purigen
-small magfloat
-hydrometer
-hydor evolution 750 powerheads
-API saltwater master test kit
-150w metal halide w/ 2 blue actinic t5's and 4 moon lights

I checked my parameters today and it looks like my cycle has started. The parameters are as follows
-temp 78.4
-ammonia .50ppm
-nitrite 5.0ppm
-nitrate 40ppm
-sg 1.024

Here are a few pics of the tank with the blue actinic lights on and a pic of the light. Also there is a pic of a piece of dry coral that I have had for several years. I was wondering if it would be safe to put in the tank. Its a blueish gray color and I'm wondering if its been dyed. If so how could I bleach it out then use it in my tank.
img_2007773_0_19419ee47d3ed3482d68bb25ee13dde6.jpg

img_2007773_1_2662f0a558f6daea0406f0239519e488.jpg

img_2007773_2_23765e414ae12f169c05b32224dd7775.jpg

img_2007773_3_22c2c8d6144434a815fa211ccf5816f9.jpg

Let me know what you think of my progress so far.

@Daniel fishy I am running a whisper 20 filter with purigen, chemi pure, and filter floss right now. I am going to upgrade the filter to one alittle larger then the tank size.
@dwilliams I will be stocking it with soft and lips coral to start off with then later on when the tank is established I will stock some sps and maybe a clam. As far as the fish I'm going with a yellow watchman gob with a pistol shrimp, a dwarf/Pygmy angel, and maybe 2 clowns. For the cuc it will be snails, a few hermit crabs, either an emarald crab or porcelain crab, and possibly a small brittle star, and some fire or skunk shrimp.

I have a question. My temp which is around 77.5 at night and 78.9 during the day. Will this kind of swing hurt my live stock when I start adding it.

Tank looks great so far, I would suggest moving your rocks away from the glass. This will allow you to clean the glass which will allow you to look into the tank from the front and both ends. A temp fluctuation like that is normal and shouldn't be a concern.

shimergloom26 said:
I have a question. My temp which is around 77.5 at night and 78.9 during the day. Will this kind of swing hurt my live stock when I start adding it.

No. But if the swing starts to become 2 degrees or more i would say it needs addressed but right now its fine.

I done another test tonight and the results are as follows
-temp 77.9
-ammonia .50ppm
-nitrite off the scale(scale goes to 5.0)
-nitrate 40ppm
-sg 1.025

Is it normal for the nitrite to be so high during the cycle. Also how often should I test during the cycle.

shimergloom26 said:
I done another test tonight and the results are as follows
-temp 77.9
-ammonia .50ppm
-nitrite off the scale(scale goes to 5.0)
-nitrate 40ppm
-sg 1.025

Is it normal for the nitrite to be so high during the cycle. Also how often should I test during the cycle.

Yes its perfectly normal. You will probably see ammonia start to disappear along with nitrite soon.

And you can test daily, in fact i recommend it to new reefer so they become familiar with testing, the nitrogen cycle and what those test results mean.

OK thanks for the input. I also have a new question. What will the diatom bloom look like? I know cyano algae looks like I had it once in my saltwater fish only tank but I have never seen a diatom bloom.

shimergloom26 said:
OK thanks for the input. I also have a new question. What will the diatom bloom look like? I know cyano algae looks like I had it once in my saltwater fish only tank but I have never seen a diatom bloom.

Will look like a brownish dust on your rocks and sand bed.

OK thanks you have been a big help so far. I'm sure I will have alot more questions as time goes by. Thanks again for the input.

shimergloom26 said:
OK thanks you have been a big help so far. I'm sure I will have alot more questions as time goes by. Thanks again for the input.

No problem. Good luck!

I bought a pound of live rock rubble that had decent coralline on so it will seed my base rock and to my surprise when I pulled the rock out of the bag I found three tiny hermit crabs on some of the rock. I hope they survive the cycle but I'm not sure they will because they sure are tiny.

I have the tank and the filter I was wondering if you don't mind sharing how much all of that stuff cost you.

@joeball2007 I was like you the only thing I had was the tank and the whisper 20 filter. I got my stuff from a local fish store and it cost me just alittle over 500.00. I did however get a good deal on my light and 200 gallons of salt. The light was 120.00 and the box of salt was 49.00. I could have gotten things cheaper from the internet but then I would have to pay shipping. So in my case it all worked out for about the same price.

No you will have to go to a fish store that specialize in saltwater tanks and fish or you can order the stuff online and hope you can get free shipping. Alot of stores online offer free shipping if you buy a large amount.

Get on Craigslist and search in all for sale and pets for equipment.. most reefers use CL reliqiously and you will find amazing deals. Right now I'm waiting on a call back on CL for a 75 full setup with stand and a 72bowfront full setup with stand for $150 all together :)

@Mrc8858 that's a really good deal. I wish I could find deals around Atlanta for that price usually when full setups are that cheap here they are more trouble then they are worth.

Back
Top Bottom