My first reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave in nj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am one month in with my first SW tank. Knock on wood, no catastrophes yet.

I purchased an established RedSea Max 250 off Craigslist, 66 gal. The previous owner had it about 3 years. I drained it for transport and refilled with the same water at my house. It has 6 fish: 3 tangs (blue, yellow and purple), a clownfish, a pajama cardinal and a spotted marine betta (comet grouper.)

After a week I swapped out half the rock and sand for new stuff from Tampa Bay. It had a small cycle, about 4 days, and I did 25% wc twice a day.

Hitchhikers and extras include 2 peppermint shrimp, 3 serpent stars, 1 decorator spider crab, 2 Mithras crabs, 1 cucumber, and a purple urchin. Also included 50 blue leg hermits and 50 snails and a couple of sponges and 3 Gorgonians.

After a month everyone is alive, parameters are stable except too much nitrate. pH 8.1, salinity 1.025.

The shrimp haven't put in an appearance for the last couple of feedings, so I fear the betta ate them.

It was dirty when I got it and I'm still not happy with the water clarity. I'm running a circulator wrapped in filterwool to pull stuff out.

Does anything seem out of whack? Any suggestions or next steps? I eventually want to introduce corals and a BTA but I'm waiting for a while.

Thanks for reading!IMG_0676.jpg

I'm not sure how it has been kept that there has been no aggression between the tangs in such a small system. Tangs need large 6 ft long tanks to swim and be healthy along with set up territory.

Back
Top Bottom