Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

My first saltwater tank.

So I'm basically starring from the ground up with this tank. I already have a Fluval 206 canister filter (upgrading to a larger one on my cichlid tank). I'm thinking a hoodless 20-25 gallon build.

From the beginning of this project, my goal was to have a lionfish. I like starfish and sea anemones to. I'll probably just stick with the lionfish and maybe one or two smaller fish.

My main concern is with lighting. I don't plan on having any corals to start with but I may work up to those in the future. Is fluorescent a good idea or will I want to do LEDs?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well first off the lion fish would need at the very least a 40 breeder for a dwarf lion (probably pushing it) and 100+for the larger lions. T5's are ok for coral high output are better, but LEDs are cheaper in the long haul. And canister filters aren't the best for sw as they tend to trap detritus and become a nitrate trap I would go with a skimmer instead

Old 01-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidon View Post
So I'm basically starring from the ground up with this tank. I already have a Fluval 206 canister filter (upgrading to a larger one on my cichlid tank). I'm thinking a hoodless 20-25 gallon build.

From the beginning of this project, my goal was to have a lionfish. I like starfish and sea anemones to. I'll probably just stick with the lionfish and maybe one or two smaller fish.

My main concern is with lighting. I don't plan on having any corals to start with but I may work up to those in the future. Is fluorescent a good idea or will I want to do LEDs?
That size tank isn't big enough for even the smallest lionfish species. Also, lions and small fish don't do well lol, the small fish usually end up meals. Anemones need a mature tank (8-12 months old) and strong lighting. Also, most starfish species are very hard to keep long term in our closed systems. A serpent of brittle star would be your best bet. That filter will need to be cleaned pretty regularly too as canisters can become nitrate traps. If you want a fish only with live rock tank to start you can use any light you want to start
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

A protein skimmer? Would I substitute a canister filter for the skimmer alone?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Well first off the lion fish would need at the very least a 40 breeder for a dwarf lion (probably pushing it) and 100+for the larger lions. T5's are ok for coral high output are better, but LEDs are cheaper in the long haul. And canister filters aren't the best for sw as they tend to trap detritus and become a nitrate trap I would go with a skimmer instead
+1
The skimmer and live rock will filter the tank fine alone. Also, look into using ro/di water
Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will probably just buy salt water from my local fish store. Or I couldn mix my own water. I have a water softener in my house so do I not have to worry about buying RO water?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ya a skimmer and power heads or wave makers blowing the water over your rocks is the best filtration for sw. If you have a hob filter laying around you can use that as well for a little surface agitation and a place to run media if you need it. There are tons of mods for the larger aqua clears ( 70 & 110)
Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidon View Post
I will probably just buy salt water from my local fish store. Or I couldn mix my own water. I have a water softener in my house so do I not have to worry about buying RO water?
You can use the store water but if you're gonna mix yourself you will need an ro unit. That softener won't remove dissolved solids like an ro unit
Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Ya a skimmer and power heads or wave makers blowing the water over your rocks is the best filtration for sw. If you have a hob filter laying around you can use that as well for a little surface agitation and a place to run media if you need it. There are tons of mods for the larger aqua clears ( 70 & 110)

What's a hob filter?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hang on back. And make sure your using ro/di not just ro. Really what you want is 0 tds ( total dissolved solids)

Tags
ate, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com