My first saltwater tank cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're insane man. That is one expensive and beautiful fish. And trust me saltwater is absolutely NOTHING like freshwater. It takes 10 years just to master saltwater haha. You're going to kill that tang and its a shame because she is beautiful and doesn't deserve a 25 gallon or 100liter tank. I have a 180 gallon/680 liters and I would be hesitant on a purple in my tank that's been established for almost 3 years. Please listen to everyone here. There is a lot of knowledge and you're torturing that fish. LFS should have never sold you that fish honestly and shame on them for it if you told them the size tank it was going in. For the fish's sake put him in an established tank and if your 200 gallon is freshwater I'd start converting now because it takes a long time on a tank that size to work out the kinks of a new build. No one is harping on you is just this was honestly a terrible move on you and you fish dealers part.

The tank cycled for 4days and the mollies just for testing the water...please don't make me feel that i am a killer ,,i am doing this for 10 years without testing kits with freshwater and i did researches on every fish before i buy it ..and that's what i did please don't tell me what will happen to the fish cause i did that..leave it to you self please,,

http://www.vividaquariums.com/p-6348-purple-tang.aspx If you did your research then check here. They recommend a 120 GALLON tank minimum. And that's still low in my opinion. And it's a $170 fish you're gambling with.

The OP came for advice and has gotten it. Whether he likes to hear the truth or not he will do as he pleases, it doesnt look like we can change his mind or get him to come around.

No need for name calling, I know your frustration at the situation, I am beside myself as well, but just state the facts as you know them, and maybe, just maybe he will listen finally.

If not you've done what you can do to help, we can't force him to do anything he wont or doesnt want to do. Wish i had that kind of money to be throwing around on fish that I will most likely kill. Beautiful fish though, can't fault the guy for wanting it, just for getting it. LOL

Yeah but 25gallons, that fish will give off a lot of waste which in 200gaons would be diluted in the water more and then cycled. In 25gallons it's not dilute much and it's not even cycled so its just gonna build and build to ridiculous levels. I'd give the fish a few days at the most. I tried a yellow tang in a 180gallon before and if never have a tang unless I had a 300gallon tank. Some people think they know it all but he needs to do a lot more reading before even starting to do anything.

Lets get back on track a little. When you add the live rock later on as you said you will kill the fish. The tank will start a cycle again. In this hobby taking you time is key for you and the health of the live stock you are keeping. Not saying you can't do what you want after all it's your money. But it's not right what you are doing for the fish or the hobby. You need to read over again or listen to the advice that you are getting.

Shoots your totally missing the point, even if you got it for free. It's still gonna get poisoned and die in a none cycled tank which is way too small. You need to sort out that bigger tank as soon as possible. And get some live rock to try to speed up the cycle process.

You are saying the water is soo dirty..how did you knew that genius???

Umm look at the first picture. Its oviously a sw tank and your using fw fish to test a sw tank? How will that work. They wont adapt to it just because they are in there. Yes the water is dirty. Its self explanatory as seen in pic 1

And i got it for 20$ only
I can't say that I believe you unless you got it from an individual that was on the same boat with too small of a tank and desperate to give it away. I've never seen a purple go for $20

Well OP has made his mind up. Lets all drop it. I have sent a report and it will be handled.

I would pay him $170 to ship that tang to me haha. And I'd ship it back when he sent me a picture of his 200 gallon cycled and tested.

Good luck. He used fw fish to test a sw tank??!?

In his defense mollies are brackish if remember correctly and can be drip acclimated to full salt just like some fresh water puffers but its a mook point. Shouldn't be done in my opinion. Anyway lets close this thread since its just a sad event and he won't let anyone help him.

In his defense mollies are brackish if remember correctly and can be drip acclimated to full salt just like some fresh water puffers but its a mook point. Shouldn't be done in my opinion. Anyway lets close this thread since its just a sad event and he won't let anyone help him.

In a way yes. They can be brackish fish not full on sw fish. Puffers as they grow need salt to live so they are different.

Please keep things civil. Any further personal attacks or rules violations will result in this thread being closed. We can disagree and do so respectfully.

We all want you to do the right thing for the fish. That's it for me on this thread. Good luck to the OP you will learn one day.

Sorry for my language but they called me names first...last thing all the mollies that are in my tank are in saltwater for over a month now then they are not freshwater fish anymore and i will let all you know about my tang for now it seems soo happy and active...thank you anyone give me an advice..

All the fish are soo active and healthy and the tang loves algae wafers and brine shrimp...i knew it will be ok...

All the fish are soo active and healthy and the tang loves algae wafers and brine shrimp...i knew it will be ok

Success is measured with time in marine aquariums, keep and eye on the tang and make sure it doesn't stress itself out. Keep it feed with correct diet and when it looks too large for the tank please upgrade to a much much larger aquarium or rehome it.

Back
Top Bottom