My first SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawkor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright I will soon be setting up my 55 gallon tank and I have a few questions. Is it OK to start with mostly base rock? I plan on buying about 70lbs of base rock and maybe like 3-5lbs of LR. Another thing, I really like tangs and was wondering if there is ANY tang that would be OK to live in a 55gal?

Thanks, Landon.

The tangs I had (Yellow eyed Tang and a Scopus Tang) loved my 55g reef tank. Important thing is to keep them fed. They love to pick around on your live rock constantly. I personally have not had luck if they can't peck around on some sort of growth on the rock ALL the time. You can put the seaweed stips and hang them out for them but mine wouldn't touch it much. My scopus loved grape calerpa. Just my two cents.

Attachments

• Yellow eyed tang.jpg
    Yellow eyed tang.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 58
A yellow eyed tang should be OK. I kept a Kole tang in my 55 gallon tank for 6 yrs before I got my 125.I would not put a scopas tang in a 55 gallon tank. Most online places suggest a 125 gallon minimum.

Also you guys said a yellow eyed tang would most likely be ok, how about a powder brown? They are about the same size as the yellow eyed and I know it would take time before I could add one but do you guys think I could keep one?

I dont know but IME and IMO I just think the yellow eyed Kole is about the only one for a 55. JMO

Back
Top Bottom