Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Which is one of the reasons its not recommended, with sw its best to just take it slow.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just tested my water again so that low light wouldn't be a factor resulting in darker results:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 4.0
Nitrite: 5.0
Nitrate: 40

Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just wait a few days FOr the levels to even out they are way high I think 4 shrimp was was too much but that's just my opinion
Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Four shrimps is a lot for my tank. I think its recommended 1 shrimp for a 30g and 2 for a 55g but due to this being my first SW tank and I plan on housing a dwarf lion fish in the future, I wanted to have a strong bacteria colony since lion fishes produces so much waste. From the different advices I got, I think I'm beginning to understand cycling a tank better

This is what I think:

LFS told me to remove the shrimps because my ammonia was pretty high. This will result in my tank having enough bacteria to remove 4.0 ppm of ammonia.

Greenmaster's method of leaving the shrimps in will result in my tank being able to maintain 0 ammonia even when there is a large source releasing 4.0 ppm of ammonia in the tank.

Therefore, it would be more wise for me (a novice) in this hobby to keep maybe just 1 shrimp in now so that I can have a bigger colony of bacteria to deal with the high levels of waste from a lion fish. This will also allow me a little bit more flexibility to account for noobie mistakes in bio-load control

Does this sound good? any inputs are welcomed.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
What you have is confusing greenmaster said remove the shrimp the thing is that the shrimp may deteriorate before your cycle finishes, if that is the case you will have higher nitrite bacteria, but nit enough ammonia bacteria. You want to make sure your cycle doesnt stall at any stage.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yea I'm planning to remove the 3 shrimps and only have 1 at a time. the rest will be frozen and then ill add another one when my numbers get a bit lower

also considering to switch over to pure ammonia over shrimp,but I dont quite understand the process. Do I keep adding the ammonia until the tank can zero out ammonia in 24 hours?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

The ammonia way is you add enough ammonia to bring your tank to 1-4 ppm you then wait till it Nitrites get to zero, you then repeat the process. You continue to repeat the process until you go from 2+ ppm to 0 in less then 24 hours.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ah, I see now, I think ill switch over to that method. The shrimps are beginning to really disgust me. Looks and smells horrible. Where would pure ammonia be in a walmart? I'm pretty sure if I go into walmart and just ask a person, they would have no idea.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are best to go to a janitorial outlet store... where there is someone who knows something about the products they sell. Make sure that when you shake the ammonia there are no bubbles that form... they should all pop almost instantly. No surfactants or perfumes. Just pure water and ammonia.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Go to ace hardware they sell it

Tags
first sw, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com