My First SW Tank: 15" Rimless Cube (Maybe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
No, I am not lost. I actually meant to post in SW. I am very seriously considering breaking into the reef arena. I can't let Rookie have all the fun.

The space I have to work with allows me to have up to a 15" cube. I would like to go rimless and starfire or low iron glass of some kind.

I have room in the cabinet that this tank will sit on for a 12"X12" footprint for a sump. HUGE right? :)

So, I need help.

1. Anyone know where I can buy a 15" cube rimless low iron glass tank? :) I have looked up and down the interwebz and it is looking like if that is the size tank I want, I will have to order it from glass cages.

2. Will a 15" cube be an ok size tank? I realize that the first reaction of most folks will be GO BIGGER. Not an option...

3. Understanding overflows a/o drilling. What do I want? What do I need? It looks like glass cages will drill a tank or put in overflows if I order from them.

4. Sump: Can I build a sump in a 12"X12" floor space? How do I want to plumb it? Do I need a skimmer? Open to any and all ideas. Never built a sump before.

5. Lighting: I want to go LED. I am leaning towards trying the TrueLumen Pro LED strips. TrueLumen Pro LED StripLights | Current-USA I have been very satisfied with my 48" TrueLumen Pro on my 12L FW planted tank. But planted is not Reef obviously. I am concerned about PAR at depth in a 15" tank. Open to suggestions here.

6. Budget: Can I keep this project to $1500? What is a realistic number? Just so I can divide it by 4 when I tell the wife what this is going to cost...

Any and all advice is welcome. I know my way around a planted FW tank... but this reef stuff is all foreign to me. I have been looking at pictures of reef tanks on AA for a few years now though, so I am sure I know everything I need to know :whistle:

Thanks all...

Welcome to the salty side! lol

I am facing some issues now planning my 24" rimless cube as far as sump space and skimmers. The only solution I have is to go with a 10g tank which is gonna be really small for my tastes. So not even sure a sump would be do-able smaller than mine or even if it would be of any difference.

Have you checked out Mr aqua tanks? they have some nice options

Mr. Aqua Rectangle Frameless Glass Aquarium Tank

Thanks Carey!

Yes, I was looking at them. They do make a couple of low iron glass cubes, but I think they were 12" and 18". The cabinet this tank is going to sit on is 15.5"X15.5". Since it is my first reef tank, I want to maximize the size/volume of water. 12 is a bit too small, and I don't think I could get away with hanging 1.25" of tank off every side of the cabinet. I could be wrong though, maybe that would be ok?

Oh, I was just throwing out that idea, lol, I was dead set for one for my pico they were just outta stock at the time. They are really nice tanks though. Yep, I had a heck of a time finding a rimless cube, I would have liked something smaller than the 24" one but in the end it will probably do just fine in the end. :)

How much is a glasscages 15 cube? It can't be all that expensive, can it?

Well, they don't actually have that as a standard size... so it would be custom. Plus the low iron glass, plus either drill or overflow... probably $300 I am guessing. I could be wrong.

Not sure - there probably are. I didn't really even search for locals. I am so used to mail order everything in this hobby. I forgot I live close to a big city now. Off to search.

I am not really down with the jbjs. I looked at em. I am weird about how things look.

Back
Top Bottom