Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Mostly lr but personally I'd also recommend rinsing then soaking base rock for at least 3 days and test for nh3/no2/no3/po4 to make sure it's not leaching anything. Losing a tank due to neglect is not worth it IMO.
Cool, thanks for the info. I like to go the safest way possible!
1. When you mean leaching, your talking about nh3/no2/no3/po4, right?
2. I am getting 150Lbs of base, my tank will be cycled by then, with only sand, do you think it would be safe to put it in the main? I don't care if there is another cycle, since there is no livestock in there.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Yes, nh3/no2/no3/po4.

As long as it's used without livestock there is little harm to be done adding directly to the tank. Base shouldn't cause another cycle.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Cool, thanks again, I just wanted to make sure.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well I added a raw shrimp to the tank last night to begin the cycle. On Saturday I am going to 50-60 lbs of LR. My LFS sells both cured and uncured for 5.99 per lb. I was orgininally planning to buy uncured, but the LFS is telling me to go with all cured LR. What do you all think?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
i'd go with cured. if i understand right, uncured was cured, but was lift sitting in air long enough for all the little bugs to die, and therefore may lead to bad params.

i used cured
Old 12-07-2006, 01:31 AM   #16

Well the shrimp has now been in for 24 hrs and my wife is pissed, because of the smell in the house. I'm actually quite surprised that the smell is as bad as it is. Normally I think that she is a little to sensitive, but she's right this time. It's ok though, because in the end it will have been worth it!

I did a couple of tests tonight and here are the results:
Ammonia .50ppm
Ph 8.2
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

I'm excited to get some LR and more BR on Saturday! Let the fun begin!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
i think mine smelled for a day or two, then didnt smell anything. i used crab though
Old 12-10-2006, 11:00 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Uncured LR could be used as an ammonia source instead of the shrimp. I would think the bioballs might not be too bad since you are doing FOWLR. You could always buy some base rock or uncured LR and smash it up with a hammer. Cheaper the better here of course. That is basically what LR rubble is Depends on what your options are here.

You could do a water change to help with the smell but it will prolong the cycle. I cured some LR once that had some major die off due to some hithhiker clams. Smelled up half my house. I did 50% water changes every day. I could not take the smell

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #19

The shrimp is decomposing fairly quickly and the smell is almost gone. The ammonia is still creeping up and unfortunately I had to leave on a last minute business trip. Therefore I will not be able to test the tank until Thursday when I get home. Due to travel and lack of uncured LR at my lfs, I am going to wait until the tank is cycled and add cured LR.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #20

Timing is everything as they say. Since I initially setup the tank, I have had to travel from Seattle to Las Vegas during the week and the power has gone out twice. Fortunately there was only one raw shrimp, so it wasn't a big deal. I'm hoping to purchase my cured live rock tomorrow. How long should I have the LR in the tank before I add fish? Also would a couple of clown fish make a good choice for my first fish?

Thanks,

Brian

Tags
build, build thread, first sw, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com