my first SW tank need help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
it going to be a 12g nanoreef. can i get a ideal on fish , coral ,and Anemones for it. tank is already cycled and sg is .023 . i would like some gobies like clown gobies how i dont know. and a clownfish how i dont know. need help i am going from freshy to salty.

What kinda lights do you have? Do you have powerheads? You could keep a percula clown and a goby in their imo. Don't get an anemone because they require perfect water quality and high light output as do corals. The anemones will also get to big for a nano and sting your corals. You should do alot of research before starting a tank especially a nano reef which is probably the most challenging because of constantly changing water conditions. Read as much as possible and ask questions. Good Luck.

Do you have the JBJ Nano Cube? If so, is it the regular or deluxe? How did you set it up? Lights, filtration? Check out www.liveaquaria.com for a list of nano fish in their marine fish section. I have a purple firefish and a six line wrasse in my nano. Clown gobies are another nice choice. Let us know about lighting so we can help with the corals/anemones.

live sand 20lbs, filter is 150gph, light is compact flour 60watts. 12 to 14 lbs of live rock.

you should be fine, loose those bioballs that come with the built in overflow.

You could pretty much keep any kind of softies in there you wanted, pretty much any LPS for that matter. I wouldn't get an anemone, not because you couldn't suport one, but because it wouldn't have very far to move before it stung something.

Really with that setup you should be good to go. I would probably get an orange stripped prawn goby and a pair of black percs.

Oh yeah, get more rock for that bad boy too.

how many snails, hermit crabs, and cleaner shrimps do i need. was thinking of getting a emerald crab too.

i plan on have some mushroom, soft, and plyop coral what supplement do i need to buy type and brand that are best to use.

you're getting way ahead of yourself. Nothing good happens quickly in a SW Tank. You need to wait 6 months after your tank is up and running with 1 fish before you even consider adding coral, and then start thinking about dosing something.. You don't "need" a cleaner shrimp, but you should have 1 hermit and 1 snail per gallon or so. a mix is nice. emeralds are nice (get ones with small claws)

you're getting way ahead of yourself. Nothing good happens quickly in a SW Tank. You need to wait 6 months after your tank is up and running with 1 fish before you even consider adding coral
While it is true that you need to take your time in SW, waiting 6 months before adding corals is a bit extreme. Once your tank has consistantly good water parameters and you feel comfortable that you can maintain them go ahead and add your first corals. Waiting a couple months is a good idea.
how many snails, hermit crabs, and cleaner shrimps do i need. was thinking of getting a emerald crab too.
Start with 6 reef hermits, I like the scarlet ones. I would only put in 3-4 snails for now. A cleaner and emerald are also fine, but hold off until water parameters are more stable.
i plan on have some mushroom, soft, and plyop coral what supplement do i need to buy type and brand that are best to use.
That is fine. Do not waste your money on any reef suppliments. Doing regular water changes is the best way to keep Ph stable, the proper ALK/CA balance and to replenish any depleted trace elements. Dosing anything into a tank of this size is pretty risky and can be disasterous.

Please do yourself a big favor and get all the test kits. Nano tanks are quite hard to keep stable, especially if you do not have previous saltwater experience. You will need to be testing quite frequently to make sure nothing goes out of whack.

Back
Top Bottom