Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

My first time with Bio Spira

I was going to do a fishless cycle, but I keep reading about how great Bio Spira is so I had to try it out. The tank is a 35 hex with a Penguin 170 HOB with the Bio wheel all used that I've had for about 6 years. The tank was filled about 3 weeks ago and conditioned with PRIME and aquarium salt. It hasn't been stocked nor cycled since filled, just running. I tested the water before stocking and I was showing small signs of ammonia and nitrite, about .25 of each. I added 4 tiger barbs and the bio spira at 5PM last night. I shook the bio spira really well and poured it directly onto the bio wheel. At 9PM two of the barbs showed signs of color loss and all weren't real active. I tested the water at 9PM and the ammonia was up to 1 and the nitrites where up to .5. This morning they looked great, their color is back and perfect, they are very active and acting just like usual barbs. I tested the water again at noon and the ammonia was down to .75 and the nitrites still holding strong at .5.

How am I doing?

oops I guess I should have posted this in the getting started section.

Also here is why I haven't listed any nitrate data. I'm hopeing that I can use the current nitrate reading as a base line and keep up with the PWC to keep the nitrates in check.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=81719

Old 07-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I pulled this off of TFP's website.

Quote:
Prime removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Ammonia is converted into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank's biofilter. This product may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them.
I find it odd that you had readings of ammonia before adding any fish. Just curious, why did you add salt?

I would just keep testing over a few days and watch the ammonia. Post back if you find anything irregular.

I work at an LFS..
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd2
I pulled this off of TFP's website.

Quote:
Prime removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Ammonia is converted into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank's biofilter. This product may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them.
I find it odd that you had readings of ammonia before adding any fish. Just curious, why did you add salt?

I would just keep testing over a few days and watch the ammonia. Post back if you find anything irregular.
I thought is was odd that I was showing amonia also. I never tested for amonia when I put the tap water in and only dosed it with PRIME once right away. Now 3 weeks later I showed trace amounts, it may have been even less the .25 but it was enough to show that there was some there. My guess is there must be amonia in an tap water or something, I'm going to have to test it and see.

I just have and odd water situation at this house, so nothing suprises me.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
eah
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I'm not mistaken, there is ammonia in chloramine which is likely to be in your tap water. Also, I have heard that even if you use something to neutralize ammonia that the test will still be able to pick it up in its safer neutarlized form.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update-

Last night at 9PM

ammonia .75
nitrites .66

Today at noon (39 hours since stocking)

ammonia .5
nitrites .66
Old 07-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like you got a good batch ! Keep watching the nitrites as I've heard some stories (key word - stories - can't validate) that sometimes the BioSpira works on the ammonia but not the nitrites.

Personally I believe in this product. I used it to finish my cycle (what can I say, I was impatient) and I just added another round today to get me through a cycle caused my antibiotics that killed my biofilter.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

If the stuff worked properly when should I expect the nitrites to start dropping? I'm thinking in the next 24-48 hours it should start to drop!??? At what point should I do a PWC if this stuff doesn't work?
Old 07-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't quite remember 100% but I believe my nitrites started dropping on the 4th day. Do a water change if the parameters get really bad (> 1ppm) but if they're good you can just go to your regular weekly water change regime.

Out of curiosity, did you pour the Bio-Spira into your filter or the water ? The first time I used it I did it half and half because I couldn't figure out if putting it directly into the filter would make a difference. This time I did it into the filter - I'm curious to see if helps.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I poured it directly onto my bio wheel. I'm not sure if it actually makes a difference, but I figured I had to pour it somewhere, so why not there.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Makes sense to me !

Tags
bio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com