Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
My Fish Keep Dying, Plz Help.

Hey Guys,

I'll try and explain everything in detail for you.

Tank size is approx 320Litres including mini reef.

Around November i made the switch from tropical to saltwater.

I put approx of 4-5 kilos of live rocks then about 2 weeks and i put fish in the tank.

1 Nemo (clown fish)
2 dominion danzels
2 blue danzels
1 other fish (cant remember the name, but it was the most expensive at $60)

Everything was fine for about 3-4 weeks then that all started to drop one by one over 4 days.

just before that happened a few of the aquarium stores i went to said my tank was still cycling and its towards the end.

However just before they died i noticed 'white spots' and the dominion danzels started to go a 'gray color'

I went back to the aquarium and he said i have 'ick' so he gave me 'triple sulfa' i used it according to the instructions.

I waited 2 weeks and bought 2 dominion danzels, they both died about 4-5 days later.

I left the tank with no fish and cycling for another 2.5 months with no fish (because i was told if there is any diseases they will die without any finish after 4-6 weeks). I done a 20% water change. I took some water to the local aquarium shop and he said my tank has finished cycling and that everything is perfect.

So I bought another 2 dominion danzels and about another 4-5 kilos of live rock, same thing happened, fish died about 3-4 days later.

I do have a heater and its set on 25 degrees, I also have a wave maker.

no corals or anemone's either just live rock.

Please if some one can help i would really appreciate it its driving me nuts and costing me heaps.

thanks heaps in advance

CircleOfLinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I am hopeing the 25 degrees is a mistake. Your tank should be at least 72 degrees faranheit.

DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Are you acclimating the fish?
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry its actully 25 degrees Celsius, which is about 77 degrees faranheit.

Also yes, I normally leave the fish floating in the bag for atleast an hour. I then open it tip some of my water in then after a few more minutes I let them
all out.
CircleOfLinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not sure your tank ever cycled. Read our articles section and do some googling on sycling a SW tank. Your fish either died from ammonia poisoning or the stress of living in an ammonia laden tank and got ick or whatever else.

BTW, you've got damsel, not danzels.

The best thing you can do is do some serious reading on setting up a tank, understanding that, and get a liquid test kit to stop relying on the lfs. After your reading, you'll likely understand just what happened and stop throwing away money. Cycled or unclycled, those 6 fish inside of two weeks was way too many to add to a new tank.

Also, do not ever add any of the water from the lfs to your tank after acclimation.

Bottom line. You gotta understand more about SW fish keeping and NEVER rely on an lfs to steer you right.

Best of luck to you.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
also when acclimating your sw fish most people suggest to roll the top back so it creates an air lip and add 1/4 cup every 4-6 min until the bag is full, scoop out half of the water and 1/2 cup every 4-6 min until full again. Scoop the fish out with a net and then dump the water (just not in the tank).
kurtyboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
What is your salt at? I keep mine at 1.025 the stores that I get my fish at keeps theres at 1.020 to 1.022 that is a big enough difference that I drip acclimate the fish. Damsels are one the hardest fish but the meanest fish. I have one by itself in a 24 gallon reef tank by himself because he is such a big bully. Slow down when doing saltwater it is more of a delicate balance than fresh water.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
I also would start again,also adding more rock with fish could also start a cycle,read up about a fishless cycle and how to acclimate fish.If you can get all the live rock now while you start cycling
Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
check your amonia levels it sounds like you add fish too quick and more if the live rock was not cured when you bought it
Tio70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
Location: Iowa USA land of the corn, beans, and cows oh my! I made that up in 2007
How close is your tank to a winow? U should also be carefull on that too.

Puggle88 is offline   Reply With Quote

dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com