Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My fish tank is partially cloudy while the filter is on!?

I got a 90 gallon aquarium brand new never used. Filled her up with salt water, I mixed the salt myself (was hard to get it to dissolve, and I could not fully get the salt to dissolve) and poured it into my tank....The water was very cloudy the first 24 hours and it seems my filter has cleaned most of it out. Now, when I turn my filter OFF the water is very clear (you can see salt dispinsing in the water but the water is still clear). While my filter is on, the area that brings the cycled water back into the tank becomes very cloudy (is this because of air bubbles or would it be because of salt not being dissolved?) Is there anything I can do to cure this problem because it really makes my tank foggy.

Its a magnum 350 filter....it does a great job just when it shoots the water back into the tank it creates a big cloud...much clearer when filter is off but i still leave it on all the time

Old 01-14-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did you add new sand? Did you rinse it if you did? If you added new sand, it's possible it is fine sand particles you are seeing...I would remove any filter media and just use floss or something to catch the sand and rinse it often (in used salt water). The sand will continue to "float" around the water until bacteria interacts with it to keep it on the sand bed. If it isn't sand, and I don't think it is salt as salt would disolve...I don't have a clue...

There will be other, more informed members on this site later that can help you more...

Good luck and welcome to AA.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site!
That sounds normal for newly added sand. I would suggest you pre mix your water with a ph and heater to get the temp and salinity the same as your tank's...makes for less stress on your critters.
Are you planning on a fishless cycle?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #4

That is hard to say, is the filter cartridge in the filter ok?

You didn't say anything about sand as the others had mentioned, so I'll not comment to that.

Did you check the specific gravity you might have added too much salt but the solubility of salt is rather high. You'd have had to add way too much salt for it not to have dissolved in a day while cricultaing water in the tank. You could have a fitting on the pump that is sucking air into the filter and dispersing bubbles in the tank.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #5

I bought 60 pounds of live sand and put it in there (said you didnt have to rinse it). Then 30 pounds of regular sand....i forgot to rense the regular sand so that could be it...will it eventually stop? only place you can see a big problem is around the area were the filter spits the water back into the tank....then the cloudiness seems to hang around the top of the tank
Old 01-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #6

I have had it running for 3 days..and bought three fish yesterday...just cheap ones so I know if my tank is ready for more expensive fish
Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please read up about fishless cycling in our articles section - actually read about cycling in general because that's what's going to happen since you put fish in already. You need to cycle the tank to build up a bacteria population and there are other ways to do that than usinig fish.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Or you can click the link in my sig block.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree dont cycle your tank with fish. Not very humane.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

Tags
cloud, cloudy, filter, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com