My "imaginary" tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! I would really like to set up a saltwater aquarium. But honestly I have no idea what I am doing... Grab some popcorn this is a longer read.

So big picture is I am planning on it being a 45 gallon (36"x13"x24") (LxWxH) and there are a few fish I would like to keep. Now I have no idea on comparability so please help me out here. The list is

- zebra barred dart fish (ptereleotris zebra)

- azure damselfish (chrysiptera hemicyanea)

-spotted cardinal fish (sphaeramia nematopera)

- six line wrasse (pseudocheilinus hexataenia)

- ocellaris clownfish (amphiprion ocellaris)

- fire fish (nenateleotris magnifica)

- bicolour dotty back (pichtichromis paccagnellae)

-black and white ocellaris (amphiprion ocellaris var.)

Ok so that's the list. I realize that all those fish won't go in one tank. If u feel one of those fish doesn't suit the others please let me know. Moving onwards I would also like the tank to be a reef. I believe that all these fish are reef compatible. So that leads to my next question, what corals anemones etc should I put into the tank? Also does anyone recommend any shrimp (cleaning kind or pistol) for the tank? Now that's inside let's move to the outside gear, the electronics. I would like to purchase a controller that monitors ph, salinity, ATO system, phosphates protein skimmer, lights, and dosing pump. So what controller would you recommend? What ATO system do you recommend? What lights to you recommend + bulb combinations? What dosing pump do you recommend? Lastly what protein skimmer do you recommend? I would also be purchasing or having a custom sump made for the tank. I was looking at the proflex sump model 1. Did I miss anything?

To Anyone who has taken time to read all of that I really thank you sooo much!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow, I hope you have a big budget ;) your stock list is ok but I always steer away from damsels, they are aggressive - as clown fish are. Just make sure peaceful fish are added first. I recommend only using ro-di Water for reef tAnks. I would also use a led light, saves elec, no bulb replacement and no worries with heat. Best advice is to take it slow and do plenty of research before purchasing anything! And ask questions here ;) sometimes lfs can sell you things u don't need or aren't ready for.

Thanks that was very helpful! Looks like I'm off to do several months of research.

your stock list is fine and not too much for a fish predominate tank. If you want to do a reef tank, maybe cut out 2-3 fish.

I agree with the above concerning damsels and the order to introduce them.
One way to mitigate the aggression from damsels is too make sure they are the smallest in the tank. Then they will still try and flex their muscles, but not really go relentlessly at any other fish.
At least that strategy has been working for me.

Just one last question what would the ideal number of each fish be? 1?

Bicolor pseudos are buttheads to the max. Get a royal gramma instead, better color and temperment

I'd do one of each fish you listed other than the psuedo.

Have a look at liveaquaria will give u info on all the fish and give u charts to show if can go together.

Back
Top Bottom