My initial reading.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasoncwrd2002

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was curious about my 55g tanks readings and got these.

Ph-7.8
Ammonia-.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

That's with nothing in there at all besides some sand. My sump was used previously but had been sitting empty for about 2 months. Gonna monitor it for a few days then hopefully go find me a live rock and throw it in there.

Ph is a bit low, should be more like 8.0 or 8.2 is it your first saltwater tank? If you've just started your cycle you should add all the live rock now. If you plan a reef tank aim for 1-2 pounds per gallon... You can also throw a raw shrimp in there to kick start the cycle. Any other questions just ask!

Was curious about my 55g tanks readings and got these.

Ph-7.8
Ammonia-.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

That's with nothing in there at all besides some sand. My sump was used previously but had been sitting empty for about 2 months. Gonna monitor it for a few days then hopefully go find me a live rock and throw it in there.

Your Ph is within range and depending on the type of rock you get it will buffer it.

What are you using to test? Or how was the tank cleaned? That might explain the ammonia.

It is a brand new tank. Used tap water to wash the sand and to clean the inside of the tank. I think it's just because waters only been in for 3 days.

I would add all the rock you intend to add, all at once. Then add an ammonia source, like a cocktail shrimp. This way you get a good bacteria colony on all of the rock.

Day 2 readings

Ph- 7.8
Ammonia- .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate- 0
Temp- 80.1
Salinity- yea I need a new scale or something. It said I was where I needed to be then it dropped to 0

You are not cycling your tank. You are wasting your time and test kits at this point. You aren't going to build a decent bacteria colony with .25 ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom