My introduction, 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone thanks for reading my first post..

This is my first tank so i have a lot to learn still.
55g
Fluval 405 Canister Filter
& HOB Filter rated @ 60g
T5 Blue & White on for 7.5 hours a day
300w Heater
40lbs live sand
55lbs live rock
1 Damsel

I used API Quick Start and the tank has been running for 3 days. I added 1 damsel last night and he seems to be liking all the caves in the new tank. It cruises around but stays on one side of the tank for the most part. I'm about to test the water right now and see where everything is but i also read that for the first 5 days or so the levels will be out of balance due to the API Quick Start i used. I plan on testing anyways since i need to get familiar/learn with the process.

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated..

Attachments

• 55g.jpg
    55g.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 83
Sounds good just make sure u keep up with the canister they tend to be a magnet for nitrates

high nitrate on can filter?

what can i do to prevent this problem?
should i change bio balls often?
or change the pads in it?

i need to figure those things out, i figured id be good for at least a month before i needed to change anything, meaning pads in can or hob filter..

Yea just check every month atleast they tend to build up. Couple I things dont add more than one two fish a week that's still not that good to add but. Check your pads , n mix around your substrate every month atleast , get a skimmer that twice rated for ur tank.

I'm about to make a sump/refug it's better bc I see u have stuff like your heater n slimmer and filters u can just put them in ur sump so u dnt take the space in your DIsplay tank , it's sort or easy to make one

Changed things up a bit, added 10 crabs and 5 snails over the last 3 weeks, and moved my rocks around. Took off my HOB filter and put a protien skimmer rated for a 65g..

Back
Top Bottom