My levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taran

Aquarium Advice Regular
10 Gallon school aquarium. Saltwater. Experiment and study of nemo and anemone.

Started 9/20/13
Readings now 10/4/13
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 110
Nitrite 3.3
Ph 7-7.5
Temp 78

The ammonia was HIgh and others low.

A 5 gallon water change was done 9/25.

What do you think? 2 more weeks?

If your nitrates are 110 an anemone will die very quickly. I'm guessing your cycling your tank? What did you use to cycle? The smaller the tank the more important water changes become because parameters change very rapidly.

What are you using to cycle? What is your ammonia source? If you are still seeing nitrItes then wait a little longer. Do you have sand and rock?

And what lighting are you using? Anemone will need strong lighting and clean water. Also it is highly recommended to wait 10-12 months before adding an anemone. This can possibly be shortened if using live rock that has been in an established aquarium for 1+ years.

110 nitrAtes is way too high for an anemone. Get that down as close to 0 as you can before adding one.

You want zero ammonia and nitrites. Even low levels of those can kill fish. High nitrates can do the same. Ideally you want those as close to zero as possible. In a ten gallon tank, you are going to want to watch those closely, even after the tank is cycled. Also watch temperature. Small tanks fluctuate easily and you do not want more than a two degree swing per day.

As was already mentioned, anemones need proper lighting and they typically do not live long in freshly established aquariums.

I used the shrimp method. So i know the levels need to be 0,0,0 i just am trying to figure out where in the cycle we are. After the peak before ending?

your ammonia is zero, which means you've crossed the first peak. Nitrites are elevated (3.3 is actually kinda high, about what you want for a peak) but you already have nitrate, so you're getting onto the home stretch. Once nitrites hit 0 with a shrimp in, loose the shrimp and do a major water change and you should be done.
Anemones normally like an established system, so for your school project, it will need some careful tank husbandry.

your ammonia is zero, which means you've crossed the first peak. Nitrites are elevated (3.3 is actually kinda high, about what you want for a peak) but you already have nitrate, so you're getting onto the home stretch. Once nitrites hit 0 with a shrimp in, loose the shrimp and do a major water change and you should be done. Anemones normally like an established system, so for your school project, it will need some careful tank husbandry.

Awesome!

10 Gallon school aquarium. Saltwater. Experiment and study of nemo and anemone.

Started 9/20/13
Readings now 10/4/13
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 110
Nitrite 3.3
Ph 7-7.5
Temp 78

The ammonia was HIgh and others low.

A 5 gallon water change was done 9/25.

What do you think? 2 more weeks?

pH is also very low at 7-7.5 should be 8-8.4.
What lighting do you have for An anemone? Also know the clowns may not host the anemone. Be ready for lots of maintenance with that small tank for a nem.

Will add ph buffer thanks. Going to buy a pair already with her anemone. Okay my levels are:

Nitrate 160
Trite 3.3
Ammonia 0

Still coming down the mountain i assume.

Will add ph buffer thanks. Going to buy a pair already with her anemone. Okay my levels are:

Nitrate 160
Trite 3.3
Ammonia 0

Still coming down the mountain i assume.

Sound like you have a plan and the cycle is heading towards completion. I would not add buffer but look into a better salt mix, what brand do you use? Chemicals usually complicate things

All readings are perfect!! Getting fish today

Bet the kids will be excited with fish, crabs and whatever else you put in. Are you going to put in anything they can touch sea urchin, star serpents or hermit crabs?

Back
Top Bottom