my lights produce alot of heat.............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zomby555

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello everyone........i am quite new to all this.......my question is this.....i currently have a 55 saltwater tank with just 4 damsels in it and 5 snails.....just cycling the tank....however, i have some pretty high output lights i invested in for future anemones, etc.......i have a closed canopy, and notice that the lights produce heat and drives up the temp.....yesterday it was up to 85 degrees! what do i do in this situation?

i have some pretty high output lights

Please describe your lights.

You say your canopy is closed. Does that also mean you have a glass cover over your tank between the lights and the water? If so remove it. This will help increase evaporation and in effect help cool the water. Another thing to do is to install some cooling fans in your canopy. This will blow air over the bulbs aswell as over the water surface enhancing evaporation even more.

If you run a sump position a fan to blow over the sump.

All of this should allow you to drop your water temp a few degrees.

the lights i have are aqualight 48 inch (4-65watt lamps) 260 watts double linear strip. 2 of them are "actinic"..............it also says that it has built in electronic ballast and cooling fans...............and an acrylic lens cover.......in answer to your question, yes, i do have a glass that covers the tank............i will try out your suggestion.................do i buy cooling fans at home depot? is that your suggestion?................no sump.

The fan in the canopy of the lights will only help keep the bulbs cool.

I would take the glass off the top and see if that helps any at first. Also you could position some powerheads to disturbe and ripple the water surface to increase gas transfer and evaporation.

If that still does not help lower it enought then look for some small fans you can hang over the tank to blow across the surface.

Back
Top Bottom