my mag drive 9.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotskate

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay i have it out side of the sump and it seems like theres salt building up around the casing?"??????????/

if ur sump has an open top, then you will see salt buliding up along all edges of everything. this is just due to evaporation. also if water splashes at all, salt will be left wherever the water hit. its nothing to be alarmed about. just do top offs and check salinity often to be sure it doesnt fluctuate.

okay well hear me out the pump is out side the sump not really near the waterrr

if its in the same general area tho, like under a cabinet, you will still get it, especially if it is running. i get salt all along the walls, pipes, lights, everything that is in the cabbinet with my sump, and mine is over half way covered, only part thats not is where my skimmer is hanging.

If salt buildup iss occuring then you might have a micro water leak around the seals. As the water evaporates the only thing left behind is the salt thus this is evidence of a seal not being totally water tight.

When running a mag externally you may see salt creep around the motor casing. This is because there is only a small o-ring sealing the case to the motor housing. Usually small sand particles work their way in there and cause a microscopic leak that just slowly gets bigger with time. My advice would be to either put the mag in the sump or run a very thin layer of silicone around the pump case cover!

Hope this helps,

Darin

Back
Top Bottom