my mind is cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverghost

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a 110 gallon tank at a local store it came with stand and glass canopy. We have decided this is going to be a family hobby something we will all enjoy and taking pride in. We previously had a 55g FW tank but after buying this new tank we are going to try to make our dream of owning a SW a reality. So I've got my tank and stand now I'm stumped :facepalm: I'm looking at a sump with protein skimmer for first purchase. I plan on the hang on the back overflow since I don't feel comfortable drilling a hole in the tank. Finally my question; I've found the LiveReef Sump but noticed the hefty price with it too. I do not want to build my own sump I want something that is basically "plug and play" is there anything else out there like the LiveReef but relatively cheaper? Or since I'm completely new to salt water should I just splurge to begin with so I don't have to worry about the headaches later? I've been googling like crazy but I haven't come up with any results.

Sumps are pretty expensive no matter where you go especially for ones rated at that tank size. If you dont want to build your own maybe try Eshopps sumps out, there economy friendly and as basic as they get. Or go another step up and go to a aqeon proflex. Even better is if there's a plastics company in your local area that could build you one out of acrylic however you want it. When you look for a protien skimmer go plus one IMO. so its a 110 after sand and rock your looking at around 85-90g worth of water so find a skimmer rated @ 90g then add another 50g

Are you going to be mixing your own saltwater or getting it from your LFS?

Also as far the HOB drain I've herd some horror stories of the power going out and for it to keep on siphoning the tank into the sump overflowing it. I would look into those more than just settling with it. check out glass holes . com they have great DIY overflow kits and videos.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I'll check the eshopps and aqueon setups out. Also I believe I'll be going to my LFS for the saltwater. I haven't fully made my mind up yet I might mix up my own to start out with then for the top-offs and water changes go to the LFS.

Just make sure to always use RODI no matter what. Its best to start now to avoid issues with phosphates and algae breakouts down the road.

dumb question for you, when doing a top off or water change, if i add the rodi does it need to have salt added or will regular RO water work. Do I add it into the sump?

The only thing that evaporates off is water, your top-off water is just to replace what has evaporated, therefore your top-off water should be just pure water.

As water evaporates from the tank. The salt in the water is more dense causing it to remain in the tank water while the reg water evaporates off. Causing your specific gravity to raise. Rule of thumb is do fresh water when toping off your sump. The tank will remain a constant level in water as long as there's enough water to keep your pump from running dry. Just make sure though before topping off to check your sg to be able to make sure your staying at your target sg. For reef systems I keep mine at 1.024-025, but for FOWLR you can get away with 1.021-.023.

Even going the most economical route, your probably looking at around 500 dollars for a sump, return pump, skimmer and necessary plumbing.
I went with Eshopps when I built the filtration system on my 180, and I'm pretty happy with it. As far as the sump itself is concerned, it's basically just a plastic box that catches water, doesn't need to be anything expensive.
The skimmer is where you might want to spend a little more. I ran a Corallife 125 super skimmer, on a 135 tall for years,( lower middle of price point) and it did great, for the money. It's a little small for my180, and I need to upgrade, but it still does well, I only have 5 fish.
IME a sump is the way to go, no unsightly equipment hanging all around your tank, quieter because it is all underneath, and gives you more overall water volume which helps the stability of the tank.
Good luck ghost!

Back
Top Bottom