my new 150 g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellygirl55

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I combined two smaller tanks in to one and am super excited!! Now I need inhabitants!! All I have are my two clowns and a watchman goby...any suggestions?? I finally have enough room for more fish!! Have to be reef safe
Also I would love suggestions on what to do with my huge sand bed?? Anything cool I can put in the sand that will chill there? What do you think of cucumbers??

Thanks

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111130_194117.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111130_194117.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 131
  • ForumRunner_20111130_194156.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111130_194156.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 138
  • ForumRunner_20111130_194620.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111130_194620.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 148
There are so many options for a 150 reef tank. Do you want larger fish? Smaller fish?

You could fill up some of the sand bed with more LR first. Lol. Then look into welso and lobo brains. Also you can do doughnut corals, plate corals, fox corals, or some tube corals! Of course this all depends on lighting

Great job on the rockscaping! Love the empty sand bed and huge overhang! How did u do it? And I know there's a lot of sand dwelling things suck as plate corals, mollusks, clams, and other gobies such as the sand shifting goby. Cucumbers would be very neat but I am not all that familiar with them. What kind of lighting are you using and how tall is the tank? Both of these factors will affect what u can and cannot put down in the sandbed.

Thanks for the compliment on the rock work! I am way proud of it, we had a good friend help with it. We installed plexiglass shelves and started the rock formation on them and went from there :)

Tank is about 3 ft tall I have 2 t5's and 2 150w mh's so I believe I am good for light???

ForumRunner_20111130_223704.jpg

I am upgrading to a 240 gallon 8ft tank that will be housing a whitespotted bamboo shark. I wanted to do something similar with my rocks as well to provide as much sandbed as I can and as many low lighted areas for him to hang out in during the day. Please tell me more about how you accomplished such an amazing display. And I think you have plenty of light and you shouldn't be worried about not being able to grow anything in ur sand bed. What id be worried about is what to pick out for ur sand bed lol.

Lol..I agree!! The choices are endless!!! I am having a hard time deciding what to do...that's why I came here for advice :)

For the scapegoat we just started on one side and built plexi shelves and put rock on them so the look suspended than it meets the rock on the sandbed on the other side...used some zip ties hidden behind corals to secure it all...kind of like a puzzle :)

How did u build the plexi shelves though? Were they siliconed to the back walls? Still confused by how all that weight can be supported like that...

We silaconed 3 plexi shelves to the corner on the left and reinforced the shelves with triangle shaped plexi inbetween each shelf. We also drilled a bunch of holes in each shelf we could use for zip tie holds and secured the big corner rock to the shelf with black zip ties. We then built off that

Good luck!! Let me know if you need any advice during the build :)

Thank u! Im very excited to start scaping everything. Im sure ill be contacting u once I get everything together and start construction. Guaranteed to make some mistakes...but its all a learning experience right? Lol

Sure is!
Today I got my first sun coral!!
I finally had a shady spot to put him :)

Iv been having a little too much holiday fun lately lol. But I'm going to pick my tank up here in a few days from glass cages

I would say save your money on the fish and get a one light fixture that covers the tank completely

Back
Top Bottom