Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My new 20 gallon setup

Hey guys, after a bit of a break I plan on getting back into keeping saltwater fish. Here is my 20 gal I just set up with everything i had laying around that still worked. I am waiting on more supplies to come in so i can finish it. I plan on getting more live rock, upgrading the light, adding a large hob filter with bioballs or some ceramic media, and also a new powerhead, as this is a small return pump but the only working pump i currently have .

Ideas on stocking? I was thinking a pair of clowns and maybe a goby. Should i add some corals? Just give me your thoughts!

PS: the final tank will look much different, this is just so we can get a rough idea of what the final project will look like. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_103155.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	313152

Old 06-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Glad to have you back aboard! Glad you had old equipment laying around to get back into things. Keep us posted, but in terms of a reef tank the answer almost always corals from my view point.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPDATE:

So the live rock came in today, as well as a new hydrometer, so I went ahead and filled up the tank. Tomorrow the new LED and filter should be in tomorrw and ill keep y'all posted. New pumps will be in Monday. The water is pretty dirty due to the samd being used previously and it looks like there is a lot of old algae in the water column that a couple water changes should help with.

Im still set on a pair of clowns but im still looking for another tankmate or two. I will definitely add some snails and hermit crabs. I'm on the fence about adding coral, simply because i have never kept them before and am unsure of the lighting, flow, and nutrient requirements for them, obviously it depends on the species.

Now i know that many people are probably going to be upset with the limited about of live rock in the aquarium, but the filter should really over do it on the biological filtration, plus there is plenty of sand, so I'm not too worried about it, I'll update you on the filtration once its installed.

I'm still open to ideas or suggestions or just your thoughts on my build! Dont mind the dirty water right now guys Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_211506.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	313181
Old 06-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd stick with one additional fish over two. This will avoid heading towards overstocking with the 'limited' amount of rock that you pointed out. Check out liveaquaria's nano fish section and see if anything trips your trigger there. I'd look towards a goby myself to add something on sandbed level.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I'd stick with one additional fish over two. This will avoid heading towards overstocking with the 'limited' amount of rock that you pointed out. Check out liveaquaria's nano fish section and see if anything trips your trigger there. I'd look towards a goby myself to add something on sandbed level.
See i was kind of thinking the same thing. Somthing that will spend most of the time near or in the sand
Old 06-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright, most od the new equipment is in and installed. However, the protein skimmer makes the entire tank be covered in bubbles. Ive tried adjusting the flow and the pump isnt adjustable. Any ideas?Click image for larger version

Name:	1561151770390.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	313186
Old 06-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If the bubbles are coming from the water falling into the tank, then you need to eliminate the fall.
If it is from the skimmer, set the air intake as open as it will go and run it in a vinegar solution to help it break in. It can take a couple of weeks for them to get all of the oils left over from production to be removed so that they can run right.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well today marks thefirst week of cycling my tank. I dont have a test kit because mine dissapeared. However, i feel like i can cycle the tank properly and I will get another one before i add any animals to make sure the water is safe. But this is the tank so far. Im really loving the new LED Click image for larger version

Name:	20190627_021914.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	313238Click image for larger version

Name:	20190626_164843.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	313239
Old 06-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

AS mentioned the skimmer usually takes a few days to break in. I like the tank as it has possibilities. I like the goby idea also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
AS mentioned the skimmer usually takes a few days to break in. I like the tank as it has possibilities. I like the goby idea also.
Well i turned off the skimmer because i found it distracting and I have a done some research suggesting the cycle will go faster/better, something to that effect, if left off. I just have to travel an hour to the closest fish store so I'll make a more concrete decision on stocking when im there. But definitely some clowns

Tags
20 gallon, gallon, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com