My new 220 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why such drastically different height going into your return section? I've never seen it done like that on a bubble trap.

Also, I do love the meteor shower. I have one just like it and another of the green w/ red polyp variety. With how many were loving yours I'm glad they haven't noticed mine! LOL

Well the old sump is empty and everything is unplugged. Ugggg. Cleaned my dsb out and this is what the water looked like...

img_2028805_0_a6a2b17ffc7781169ea1c120371820f6.jpg

Now to get the old one out and the new one in! Half way done!!!

Ok. Sump is in and filled. Have hooked up most of the equipment. Had to take out a door frame to get the 75 in and now it's also replaced. Over compensated on water a bit so I have to take a little out. My tank got a 60 gallon water change today. Whew. Pics soon. Have a little bit more to go

Jlsardina said:
Ok. Sump is in and filled. Have hooked up most of the equipment. Had to take out a door frame to get the 75 in and now it's also replaced. Over compensated on water a bit so I have to take a little out. My tank got a 60 gallon water change today. Whew. Pics soon. Have a little bit more to go
.....I would like to see pictures of everything in the sump and running,....also in the picture of bucket of sand is that toe nail polish on your big toe or did we drop something on it and yell something we probably shouldn't have ? .... It's always an exciting time here putting everything together , testing and fine tuning things.....gooooooo. Jodi !!!!

Dary421 said:
.....I would like to see pictures of everything in the sump and running,....also in the picture of bucket of sand is that toe nail polish on your big toe or did we drop something on it and yell something we probably shouldn't have ? .... It's always an exciting time here putting everything together , testing and fine tuning things.....gooooooo. Jodi !!!!

I'll post pics soon. Lol.

As far as my toe- half the nail is missing. A month or so ago I dropped a mag 24 on it. I had a few choice words for it and my pain. Couldn't walk for a week. It was bad. Sprained my foot even.

Jlsardina said:
I'll post pics soon. Lol.

As far as my toe- half the nail is missing. A month or so ago I dropped a mag 24 on it. I had a few choice words for it and my pain. Couldn't walk for a week. It was bad. Sprained my foot even.

A mag 24 dropped on my toe would bring forth many un church like words from my quivering lips !!!! ... As far as the sump goes.., it looks like a tight fit but you got it all in there,...I love looking at under the tank / sump pictures just to see the massive array of wires,cables,code violations,tubes,hoses zip ties etc.,...I'm starting to feel a little better now about my mess Under my tank now .... Did hubby help or is he still banned from touching your stuff?

Dary421 said:
A mag 24 dropped on my toe would bring forth many un church like words from my quivering lips !!!! ... As far as the sump goes.., it looks like a tight fit but you got it all in there,...I love looking at under the tank / sump pictures just to see the massive array of wires,cables,code violations,tubes,hoses zip ties etc.,...I'm starting to feel a little better now about my mess Under my tank now .... Did hubby help or is he still banned from touching your stuff?

Nope. It was all me. Hence why I'm not done. Lol. Still have a few things left to do- but it will get done tomorrow ...maybe. Lol. Hotta pick up some more sponge and make a few adjustments. Then ill zip-tie all the chords and straighten up. Ive got a 400gph pump to run the small frag tank and i have a apot left in the sump just for it. All in all I didn't do too bad. Should have seen me dragging the 75 in from the garage.lol.

I do have a lot of wires. But I try to make sure that all plugs are above the water level in the sump and hung either on the wall or stand itself.

I'm actually curious to see how well the denitrifier works. I have 10 ppm of nitrates. Supposedly it gets rid of everything in 3-4 weeks. I feed well so if I could do so without larger water changes I would be a happy camper.

Jlsardina said:
Nope. It was all me. Hence why I'm not done. Lol. Still have a few things left to do- but it will get done tomorrow ...maybe. Lol. Hotta pick up some more sponge and make a few adjustments. Then ill zip-tie all the chords and straighten up. Ive got a 400gph pump to run the small frag tank and i have a apot left in the sump just for it. All in all I didn't do too bad. Should have seen me dragging the 75 in from the garage.lol.

I do have a lot of wires. But I try to make sure that all plugs are above the water level in the sump and hung either on the wall or stand itself.

I'm actually curious to see how well the denitrifier works. I have 10 ppm of nitrates. Supposedly it gets rid of everything in 3-4 weeks. I feed well so if I could do so without larger water changes I would be a happy camper.

I'm totally looking forward to seeing the tidied up sump,..I take it that's your " new" denitrifier in your sump?? ,.. If so is that just to save space underneath the stand or is it designed that way,...also ,good luck on the foot,... I've broken my right foot in various spots three or four times over the years so YES I know about limping too.!
I think if I had to do things all over again I'd prob use my old 75 gal tank as my sump,...I like the idea of having so much room for everything,.giant skimmer etc. but too late now ! :-/

Dary421 said:
I'm totally looking forward to seeing the tidied up sump,..I take it that's your " new" denitrifier in your sump?? ,.. If so is that just to save space underneath the stand or is it designed that way,...also ,good luck on the foot,... I've broken my right foot in various spots three or four times over the years so YES I know about limping too.!
I think if I had to do things all over again I'd prob use my old 75 gal tank as my sump,...I like the idea of having so much room for everything,.giant skimmer etc. but too late now ! :-/

It's in the sump for lack of room and I never trust anything not in the sump. I'm paranoid about leaks. Even my reactor is in the sump even tho it doesn't have to be. Gonna run and buy some sponges and zip ties after work in an hour. Then ignore the laundry for a little longer an continue tinkering with the tank. Gonna get my ph, temp and other probes up and running, fine tune the wave maker again, and look into plugging in the reef keeper. Hopefully that will take care of the fire hazard issues. Lol. Thank god where my tank is that there are four wall plugs otherwise I would be very afraid. Lol. I feel a little better that "reset" plus and everything is there and is on the same circuit as the kitchen (extra electricity there. Lol)

On a side note- think a mini fridge could hold the weight of a 30 gal tank? Lol. It's by the tank and would save time of building a stand. I value your opinion- and you are the only one reading my thread anymore. Lol.

Jlsardina said:
It's in the sump for lack of room and I never trust anything not in the sump. I'm paranoid about leaks. Even my reactor is in the sump even tho it doesn't have to be. Gonna run and buy some sponges and zip ties after work in an hour. Then ignore the laundry for a little longer an continue tinkering with the tank. Gonna get my ph, temp and other probes up and running, fine tune the wave maker again, and look into plugging in the reef keeper. Hopefully that will take care of the fire hazard issues. Lol. Thank god where my tank is that there are four wall plugs otherwise I would be very afraid. Lol. I feel a little better that "reset" plus and everything is there and is on the same circuit as the kitchen (extra electricity there. Lol)

On a side note- think a mini fridge could hold the weight of a 30 gal tank? Lol. It's by the tank and would save time of building a stand. I value your opinion- and you are the only one reading my thread anymore. Lol.

Jodi.., I know what you mean about those leaks and overflows,..over the last couple of years I've had my share of surprises ,...and Dary don't like them . , somehow,I've got all my systems pretty bulletproof right now ( knock on wood) and since setting up this tank I've had no surprises!!!
As far as the mini refrig idea goes,..IMO its great,..keeps the beer cold and handy while you work on your tanks !!!,...I'd prob just cut a piece of plywood for the top just for support and evenness ,you'd prob wanna drape a plastic table cloth or some sort of thing over the plywood just to prevent any water from seeping under the tank and rusting out the mini's top.., keep going buddy, ya doing good.

Dary421 said:
Jodi.., I know what you mean about those leaks and overflows,..over the last couple of years I've had my share of surprises ,...and Dary don't like them . , somehow,I've got all my systems pretty bulletproof right now ( knock on wood) and since setting up this tank I've had no surprises!!!
As far as the mini refrig idea goes,..IMO its great,..keeps the beer cold and handy while you work on your tanks !!!,...I'd prob just cut a piece of plywood for the top just for support and evenness ,you'd prob wanna drape a plastic table cloth or some sort of thing over the plywood just to prevent any water from seeping under the tank and rusting out the mini's top.., keep going buddy, ya doing good.

Lol. The fridge holds fish food, coral food, etc and sprite for my whiskey and rum. Lol. I'll steal some plywood from my cat tower build project and hopefully get that tank up and running this week. My Bengal won't be happy- but he likes the fish too so I don't feel as bad : P

Just curious why a denitrater instead of bio pellets? Does the denitrater do phosphates too?

Bige said:
Just curious why a denitrater instead of bio pellets? Does the denitrater do phosphates too?

Yes it does. And calcium as well. It's like three for the price of one!!! Not only that- I've heard a LOT of mixed reviews on the bio pellets. Look at Carey for example- one tank is golden and another has had nothing change.

so i just got done reading through this entire thread (over the last few days) and i have to say your tank is amazing! I'm getting ready to make the jump from FW to a reef tank so i can only hope my tank comes out a quarter as nice as yours. I know you've already said it a couple of times but i can't find which page its on, what type of LED's do you use?

How is everything with the store? Has business picked up?

Wanted to say I'm still following, though I don't say anything because I'm new to the hobby and afraid I'll say something wrong, but you are one of my inspirations so please don't think what you post isn't appreciated.

Diana

Keimaxbode said:
Wanted to say I'm still following, though I don't say anything because I'm new to the hobby and afraid I'll say something wrong, but you are one of my inspirations so please don't think what you post isn't appreciated.

Diana

Diana,..you should never be afraid to say or ask anything here or on any of these threads,..it's really the best way to get some answers to questions that may be bugging you and for people to get to know YOU,..99% of the people here are super cool and extremely helpful,... We all have our ups and downs ( me especially :-/ ) ,.but we all take the hobby very seriously and are more than willing to share thoughts and ideas ,..it's fun getting your own little thread going or following others,.. Pull up a chair and join right in.,.you are more than welcome !!!!
Jodi is really cool and funny too,..I also very much enjoy following along too... I enjoy the girls of the forum and their determination and grit,..it's very reassuring .

You may have explained this already, and if you did, please just tell me, but what does this denitrifier do to make it eat nitrates, kill phosphates, and also replenish calcium?

Back
Top Bottom