My new 220 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:
so i just got done reading through this entire thread (over the last few days) and i have to say your tank is amazing! I'm getting ready to make the jump from FW to a reef tank so i can only hope my tank comes out a quarter as nice as yours. I know you've already said it a couple of times but i can't find which page its on, what type of LED's do you use?

How is everything with the store? Has business picked up?

On my personal tank I have ecoray 60D. At my shop I run TFT LEDs and metal halides. I can honestly say I would switch over my personal tank to TFT LEDs once I have 600$ to spare. I sell them all the time so I not only see how they do on my tanks at the shop- but thru customers tanks as well. Many people have had success with their sps corals using TFT LEDs.

Business has been good. Ran into some issues and plumbing on one of the FO tanks. But all is good now after some re-vamping and a move. Had to move store locations when I found out their was stray electricity running thru the WHOLE building. I literally walked into a small puddle one day (no where near the tanks) and got zapped. Tried it again (for scientific purposes and not because I'm Bart Simpson) and it happened again. We moved within a few weeks.

Keimaxbode said:
Wanted to say I'm still following, though I don't say anything because I'm new to the hobby and afraid I'll say something wrong, but you are one of my inspirations so please don't think what you post isn't appreciated.

Diana

Aww. Thanks. I blushed. I don't see my tank as that great tho. Always something to fix!!!

Dary421 said:
Diana,..you should never be afraid to say or ask anything here or on any of these threads,..it's really the best way to get some answers to questions that may be bugging you and for people to get to know YOU,..99% of the people here are super cool and extremely helpful,... We all have our ups and downs ( me especially :-/ ) ,.but we all take the hobby very seriously and are more than willing to share thoughts and ideas ,..it's fun getting your own little thread going or following others,.. Pull up a chair and join right in.,.you are more than welcome !!!!
Jodi is really cool and funny too,..I also very much enjoy following along too... I enjoy the girls of the forum and their determination and grit,..it's very reassuring .

Agreed. Always but in- if you don't know- ask. It's the only way to learn!!!

Plus- when people respond to my threads- I try to make it a point to look at theirs! It's only fair after all.

To Dari: thank you sir! Lol. I am quite funny looking. :p. lol. And btw- most girls are made up of nothing but determination and grit. A certain song comes to mind... (insert musical accompany here) ANYTHING YOU CAN DO I CAN DO BETTER... I CAN DO ANYTHING BETYER THAN YOU... Lol. Jk. Thanks for following!

needmorecowbell said:
You may have explained this already, and if you did, please just tell me, but what does this denitrifier do to make it eat nitrates, kill phosphates, and also replenish calcium?

The main ingredients in the denitrifier are calcium carbonate and granular elemental sulfur which produces anaerobic (sp?) bacteria which basically eats the nitrates and some phosphates. However, this process can take some time. The calcium carbonate (which is what coral uses to build their skeletons) also works as a buffer, along with oxygenation from high dripping, high flow areas, and filtration helps to remove and toxic gases that would be released from the sulfur. Also- because the water is pushed thru at such a low flow rate within the reactor, the water is charged with calcium before it re-enters the aquarium.

I'm not a scientist- but that was my take on it after long research on the topic. Please anyone- correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!

Jlsardina said:
The main ingredients in the denitrifier are calcium carbonate and granular elemental sulfur which produces anaerobic (sp?) bacteria which basically eats the nitrates and some phosphates. However, this process can take some time. The calcium carbonate (which is what coral uses to build their skeletons) also works as a buffer, along with oxygenation from high dripping, high flow areas, and filtration helps to remove and toxic gases that would be released from the sulfur. Also- because the water is pushed thru at such a low flow rate within the reactor, the water is charged with calcium before it re-enters the aquarium.

I'm not a scientist- but that was my take on it after long research on the topic. Please anyone- correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!

Ohh, so it's pretty much a calcium reactor and almost a trickle filter combined, that's really cool. So the anaerobic bacteria can survive the high calcium levels, interesting.. Seems like a great piece of equipment. Hope it works for you, I might have to make one if it goes well!

Denitrifiers are pretty interesting creations. Thankfully they appear to be most effective on much larger systems than my 55...I need to keep all the DIY projects out of my head. All I do is spend money on my tanks and I still want to try out an algae scrubber. Still, all really cool.

You should show off pics of the tanks at your store btw. I've never seen REAL lfs tanks, only Petco or small petstore we only have 20 people who are interested in saltwater look at our cyanotanks for livestock tanks.

Sniperhank said:
Denitrifiers are pretty interesting creations. Thankfully they appear to be most effective on much larger systems than my 55...I need to keep all the DIY projects out of my head. All I do is spend money on my tanks and I still want to try out an algae scrubber. Still, all really cool.

You should show off pics of the tanks at your store btw. I've never seen REAL lfs tanks, only Petco or small petstore we only have 20 people who are interested in saltwater look at our cyanotanks for livestock tanks.

It seems to be working well so far- but too soon to tell. I can take pics tomorrow of the frag tanks. Got some cool stuff in there that I threaten my husband all the time that they will disappear. Lol

Sniperhank said:

Yes I agree Jodi,...let's see some pictures . :)

Sniperhank said:
Well maybe that is a true statement, they MIGHT disappear after posting pictures and sending them across the country to us, your loyal thread following consumers!

Lol. Nice.

On a weirder and totally unrelated note: I think I might be worried about setting up a spare frag tank at my house. I have a guilty looking pet...
img_2035332_0_a03d6cd4780bd8390acc91fedcffe7d3.jpg

img_2035332_1_142e57e8082e6bf30140d63a65626241.jpg

He keeps jumping in. Hmmm. May have to make covers or else fish might start to disappear.

Jlsardina said:
Lol. Nice.

On a weirder and totally unrelated note: I think I might be worried about setting up a spare frag tank at my house. I have a guilty looking pet...

He keeps jumping in. Hmmm. May have to make covers or else fish might start to disappear.

Wow ... She's / he's a cutie .... What this vicious looking kitty's name ?

Dary421 said:
Wow ... She's / he's a cutie .... What this vicious looking kitty's name ?

Lol. That would be Sebastian. Or Bastian for short- but he might think his name is "da&$ cat". He comes to all three. Lol. He's only 4.5 months old and can already jump to places I can't get on. Lol.

Lol. Nice.

img_2035385_0_a03d6cd4780bd8390acc91fedcffe7d3.jpg

img_2035385_1_142e57e8082e6bf30140d63a65626241.jpg

I have a guilty looking dog. She started laying infront of my tank so I pet her while I look at it lol. But that TOTALLY sounds like you'll start selling all of us sweet frags ;).

I love when pets get involved, lol
that cat is awesome... What kind is he?

Mr. D said:
I love when pets get involved, lol
that cat is awesome... What kind is he?

Lol. He's a Bengal cat. And Dari- he's not a biter anymore. But there were a few nights where I was shocked into waking up. Lol. He hasn't paid much attention to my main tank-but it's also covered. However- he has sat up in top the angler tank and and tried to "play" in the water.
img_2035939_0_595a2ad8ad1dd3509902fdab3590caa6.jpg

Ok. For those that asked- here's my two main frag tanks. Here is the LPS and softy tank-

img_2035939_1_df66253da0faf04c777c08b49aa52cef.jpg

And here's my expensive tank with rarer pieces and sps corals:

img_2035939_2_1748eb6e2a875202221a73c14f7298fb.jpg

img_2035939_3_5bf91d5a1a39eb6f158ecef5637b5019.jpg

img_2035939_4_abf5a2a3f7ef6a6ba30a63e85bef1447.jpg

And here is a ricordea garden for Dari- I get more ultras in on Monday- but they sell super fast at my prices. Lol.
img_2035939_5_ee9e5844ef7e55558c5f39180e3190f4.jpg

And here's another coral tank in the shop- its where the bigger and longest stinger tentacles go. Lol. I had a 14" clam in there but finally sold it two days ago. That's why the rockwork looks like it does

img_2035939_6_7419eff305b0053a128cc17f073443bb.jpg

Holy poop Jodi that's an awesome set of tanks . Of course I have no clue what I'm looking at lol but awesome none the less

Back
Top Bottom