Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #661
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT
I consider you the resident tang guru. Can a 4in powder brown and 2in chevron live in a 150g 6 feet long?
Also, remember- just because the tang is smaller- doesn't mean that being in a smaller tank will not stress them out. Always assume the fish is at full grown size when considering stocking options. When a recommendation is made on tank size - the difference in 6ft tanks is depth and height. The fish that needs a bigger 6 ft tank often needs the more space to turn around

Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #662
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina
Added a lawn mower blenny today because the brown algae that was on the new rock has started to spread a little. Unfortunately by the time I got home from class lights were already out so no pics tonight
Awesome, can't wait for the pictures!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #663
RJT
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina View Post
Also, remember- just because the tang is smaller- doesn't mean that being in a smaller tank will not stress them out. Always assume the fish is at full grown size when considering stocking options. When a recommendation is made on tank size - the difference in 6ft tanks is depth and height. The fish that needs a bigger 6 ft tank often needs the more space to turn around
Do you still wonder how you got that title?

A buddy of mine has several achilles that he has had for months. All of them doing well and eating mysis. Will this be a better match if I don't get the powder brown and chevron?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #664
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT

Do you still wonder how you got that title?

A buddy of mine has several achilles that he has had for months. All of them doing well and eating mysis. Will this be a better match if I don't get the powder brown and chevron?
IMO, the achilles tang is a fish that should stay in the ocean. Your buddy's fish might be eating now, but through the research I have done on them- they are known to go on hunger strikes. The Achilles is best suited for a more mature tank as they don't handle changes in water temp, or water parameters very well either.

The Achilles also needs the turn around space found in a 180 or higher and it needs very high flow water with plenty of swimming space because they are constantly moving around and could stress if in too small of a tank and get ick and ...well you know. Lol
Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #665
RJT
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
IMO, the achilles tang is a fish that should stay in the ocean. Your buddy's fish might be eating now, but through the research I have done on them- they are known to go on hunger strikes. The Achilles is best suited for a more mature tank as they don't handle changes in water temp, or water parameters very well either.

The Achilles also needs the turn around space found in a 180 or higher and it needs very high flow water with plenty of swimming space because they are constantly moving around and could stress if in too small of a tank and get ick and ...well you know. Lol
Thanks. I will definitely leave the achilles alone. The aquascaping is exactly as you suggested. Two small islands with plenty of space.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #666
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT

Thanks. I will definitely leave the achilles alone. The aquascaping is exactly as you suggested. Two small islands with plenty of space.
What about caves? All tangs need several caves to swim though and hide in.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #667
RJT
Aquarium Advice Freak

I forgot about that. I need to do some adjusting before I get them in there.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #668
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT
Try to make sure that there is at least 2-3 caves per tang. It's like a game of Tetris setting up caves! It takes me about 2-3 hours to get it the way I want sometimes. But right now I have a little under 20 caves in my rockwork- one being about a foot long. It's all in how you pick out your rock. You will notice when you go to the LFS that you will start looking for flat and curved pieces just to make that perfect cave
Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #669
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT
My buddy took a year to hand pick every piece of LR for his 265 but he is the cave master. Lol. If you get really creative- look up how to make live rock from scratch. It might take some time to settle and cure- but you might have a better chance of getting that one piece you have to have
Old 12-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #670
RJT
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
My buddy took a year to hand pick every piece of LR for his 265 but he is the cave master. Lol. If you get really creative- look up how to make live rock from scratch. It might take some time to settle and cure- but you might have a better chance of getting that one piece you have to have
I wish I was that patient. I am helping a buddy move this weekend. The seller has 150lbs of rock for sale. I may pick some up. I don't have enough rock for 7 or more caves,

Tags
20 gallon, 220 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com