Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hydor makes a great product, yes, a set of powerheads from them will put a significant dent in your $250, but they are more than worth it. Ask your mom to search for "Hydor Koralia 1" on eBay, they are part of the older line-up before Hydor re-branded all of the models. The 1's put off about 400gph IIRC and two of them, in combination with your filter, should give you about all of the water movement you should need if you decide you want a reef, otherwise one should do the trick.

I recommend you get a light fixture actually meant for use in aquaria. I would worry about that light falling into the water, or salt creep corroding the contacts causing the fixture to short. If you plan on getting coral, look into FishNeedIt.com light fixtures, they are cheap and work great, otherwise any old fixture will work, just make sure it's safe for aquaria.

Welcome to AA, you aren't the only teen around here.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil
Hydor makes a great product, yes, a set of powerheads from them will put a significant dent in your $250, but they are more than worth it. Ask your mom to search for "Hydor Koralia 2" on eBay, they are part of the older line-up before Hydor re-branded all of the models. The 2's put off about 400gph IIRC and two of them, in combination with your filter, should give you about all of the water movement you should need if you decide you want a reef, otherwise one should do the trick.

I recommend you get a light fixture actually meant for use in aquaria. I would worry about that light falling into the water, or salt creep corroding the contacts causing the fixture to short. If you plan on getting coral, look into FishNeedIt.com light fixtures, they are cheap and work great, otherwise any old fixture will work, just make sure it's safe for aquaria.

Welcome to AA, you aren't the only teen around here.
Hahaha thanks. and I don't think I'm going to intentionally get coral but if I find some and it starts to grow, then I will most deff upgrade. And Thanks for the advice about the power heads. Do I need a protein skimmer? I don't want to buy if it's not a necessity, ya know? :/

Old 06-30-2011, 04:01 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Without coral, you really don't need a skimmer. Even if you had coral, I would say you could scrape by on weekly water changes as long as you didn't slack off.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cheapest place I found mine as on amazon
Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane1223 View Post
I'm going to the store later. What do you recommend that I get?
Get a new test kit. If the ammonia result seems to be incorrect, you need to retest with a fresh kit.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskidmore
Get a new test kit. If the ammonia result seems to be incorrect, you need to retest with a fresh kit.
I bought a new test kit. And a 300 watt heater. Is that good?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith
Cheapest place I found mine as on amazon
Really? Can you give me an approximation of how much?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil
Without coral, you really don't need a skimmer. Even if you had coral, I would say you could scrape by on weekly water changes as long as you didn't slack off.
Ok. Cool. If and when it's necessary, I'll look for one then but all the ones around here at my lfs are at least $150.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

It took 3 days for the water in my 90g to clear take the cartriges out of your HOB (save them for after the cycle) and put some poly-fill in there it will filter the silt out of your water and you can rinse and reuse
I dont run a skimmer on my tank BUT i do a 25g PWC every sunday my trates never get over .5
I have a Potters Angle, Royal gramma, a clown and two gobies and 1/2 doz. SPS coral Test your water then ask the LFS to test the same water this will give you a base line to follow or show if your kit is outa wack Good luck
you might want to look at this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hydor-Koralia-Ev...item4153d051a7
Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz
It took 3 days for the water in my 90g to clear take the cartriges out of your HOB (save them for after the cycle) and put some poly-fill in there it will filter the silt out of your water and you can rinse and reuse
I dont run a skimmer on my tank BUT i do a 25g PWC every sunday my trates never get over .5
I have a Potters Angle, Royal gramma, a clown and two gobies and 1/2 doz. SPS coral Test your water then ask the LFS to test the same water this will give you a base line to follow or show if your kit is outa wack Good luck
you might want to look at this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hydor-Koralia-Ev...item4153d051a7
Thanks so much for the info. I'm deff gonna look into the eBay PH. And yeah. I'm just a little impatient. Compared to 18 hours ago the water is 110% better. Here is what it looks like now after like 34 hours of filtration. I don't have any poly-fil, any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2043194690.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	42120  

Tags
40 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com