My new 40 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lane1223

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. I jut started my new 40 gallon breeder saltwater fish tank. I had two 30 gallons but a year ago they came down and I've been fishless ever since. I finished setup at like 12:00 last night. I used live sand, so of course it's super cloudy. No visualization at all really. All I have is a external dual filter. It filter 240 gallons per hour. Any advice on what I should do next? Things I should buy? Things I should do? Anything is appreciated. :)

I also added the biosphere bacterium stuff. And the water purifier. My SG is 1.022.

Add fish food or a dead shrimp. Are you going to add live rock? Do you have ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits?

What is your stock wishlist? You can't put anything in yet, but you want to keep your stock list in mind when setting things up.

ok my pH is 8 ppm and im doing nitrite now. i want to have a clowns, and just some community fish at first. what kind of fish food?

and while my sand is still settling, should i leave the filter going?

Add fish food or a dead shrimp. Are you going to add live rock? Do you have ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits?

What is your stock wishlist? You can't put anything in yet, but you want to keep your stock list in mind when setting things up.
i have checked them all and i dont have any nitrates or nitrites but my ammonia test is either messing up or is soooo bad....
its suppose to be a shade of green but its a milky white ish...:(

What do I do?
This is my tank so far...

Attachments

• image-1335963631.jpg
    image-1335963631.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 142
Easy way to tell if the ammonia is really high or if the test was wrong. Smell the tank. High ammonia reeks of a low quality fish market. If you have high ammonia, you don't need to add any fish food until the ammonia goes down below 4 ppm.

Lane1223 said:
are you asking how I added the sand or how anyone adds the sand? i just put it in there and poured saltwater in.:fish2:
Hehehe well "you" cause if you trow the water to strong to the sand that will move the sand a lot and that will take some time to get clear.

Dinodu said:
Hehehe well "you" cause if you trow the water to strong to the sand that will move the sand a lot and that will take some time to get clear.

Hahaha yeah. I have found that out the hard way. I can tell though it's getting clearer. At first I couldn't see any thing but now I can see probably about 3-4 inches in. :)

dskidmore said:
Easy way to tell if the ammonia is really high or if the test was wrong. Smell the tank. High ammonia reeks of a low quality fish market. If you have high ammonia, you don't need to add any fish food until the ammonia goes down below 4 ppm.

Haha yeah. I smelled it and it didn't really smell to terribly bad; Not anything that struck me as strange...I think I'm starting to understand the cycle. I'm going to the store later. What do you recommend that I get? I have a duel external power filter and a Coralife light. (super bright btw) I know I need more. "Just what" is the question. :)

What is your budget on this tank? I strongly recommend some lights, at least a few Power Compacts. Also you will need a powerhead or two for flow.

Grabloids said:
What is your budget on this tank? I strongly recommend some lights, at least a few Power Compacts. Also you will need a powerhead or two for flow.

I have invested about $400 dollars into this. I have around $250 left. I have a great light and I've looked at powerhead. What kind though?

Lane1223 said:
I have invested about $400 dollars into this. I have around $250 left. I have a great light and I've looked at powerhead. What kind though?

I like pretty much anything Hydor makes.

Lane1223 said:
Is this brand expensive and is it available at any lfs?

Not really. Yeah. Since you're on a budget(I sure am!) I would suggest trying to find a powerhead online so you get the best possible price. Just an idea.

ReefPhan_Harpua said:
Not really. Yeah. Since you're on a budget(I sure am!) I would suggest trying to find a powerhead online so you get the best possible price. Just an idea.

Ok!! Thanks for the advice. My moms a HUGE eBayer so she can find me a good for a good price. (I'm 16, btw.) so how long should it take for my sand to settle and should I leave the filter running?

Back
Top Bottom