Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm making a refugium for my 40b. The refugium is a 20g long that I picked up. I think that a refugium makes everything so much easier, especially if it's only fish, because you wouldn't need to change the water for months. If it's a reef, then you would only need to change it to regain calcium, iodine, etc.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate
You're ok rinsing wise, on a 40b you'd prob save time if you just went with a hob filter but if you wanna make it a learning experience you could go with the diy sump, I personally am running a refugium and a hob filter on my 125. Either size would be good for your sump nbut go with the bigger of the two, it'll have a higher capacity obviously. And your tanks gonna start cycling with or without you lol. Just prob won't go far. It'll be ok
What would be better for a reef tank a refugium or a sump and if u don't mind me asking what's a refugium I've been researching for weeks and I never read up on them?

Old 07-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb
I'm making a refugium for my 40b. The refugium is a 20g long that I picked up. I think that a refugium makes everything so much easier, especially if it's only fish, because you wouldn't need to change the water for months. If it's a reef, then you would only need to change it to regain calcium, iodine, etc.
What would you suggest be the best thing for me I'm doin a reef tank do u think a refugium or sump or both if that's possible bc all I really want in my tank are my powerheads
Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Refugiums and sumps are basically the same things. I would suggest (this is what I'm doing) you have a first compartment with some type of filtration pads, then you have the actual refugium, which is a section with a dsb, some type of algae to remove nitrates and other trace elements (chaeto is popular) then the return pump in another section, along with a protein skimmer that pumps up water from there and pumps it back to the beginning.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb
Refugiums and sumps are basically the same things. I would suggest (this is what I'm doing) you have a first compartment with some type of filtration pads, then you have the actual refugium, which is a section with a dsb, some type of algae to remove nitrates and other trace elements (chaeto is popular) then the return pump in another section, along with a protein skimmer that pumps up water from there and pumps it back to the beginning.
I like the idea of a refugium they sound idiot proof lol I'll probably be going with that idea I'm just new to sw and don't want to screw ne thing up and lose money....also how much salt did u put into ur 40b in the beginning to get the right salinity level?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Also what should me temp be set at right now it's set between 76 and 79
Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't set it up yet. It's going up in a few days. I'm new to saltwater too! Just started a month ago. Also, to get the right salinity right, I slowly add salt, stir for a few minutes, then check with my hydrometer. after you get the amount you want, let it sit for about 30 min. Then recheck the salinity to make sure. And of course add a dechlorinator!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

And the temp can be from 74-82 but it needs to be stable.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If he is doing a sump he needs an overflow or his tank drilled.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

And a return pump too!

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com