My new 40b sw tank build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some pics

Attachments

• image-343110102.jpg
    image-343110102.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 112
  • image-618990641.jpg
    image-618990641.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 101
slitherbomb said:
I haven't set it up yet. It's going up in a few days. I'm new to saltwater too! Just started a month ago. Also, to get the right salinity right, I slowly add salt, stir for a few minutes, then check with my hydrometer. after you get the amount you want, let it sit for about 30 min. Then recheck the salinity to make sure. And of course add a dechlorinator!

Just rechecked my hydrometer and my salinity level went way back down so needs more salt lol and also do I need to out in a dechlotinator if I used ro water?

I'm not sure. For sure RO/DI water doesn't need. Not sure about RO. Also, it would've been easier to put the sand then put water.

slitherbomb said:
I'm not sure. For sure RO/DI water doesn't need. Not sure about RO. Also, it would've been easier to put the sand then put water.

Yeah I know that but I didn't have alot of money this time around so I just wanted to get the water ready and this coming weekend I'm getting the sand to out in there and my lfs expert told me some ways of putting the sand in there w/o much disturbance to the water

I'd watch that hydrometer, I just used the same exact one while trying to setup my tank and it was all over the board, I'd personally recommend the hydrometer that you fill up and set on an even surface, much easier to get a reading. Imo I wouldn't worry about clouding the water, its only a 40b so the cloudiness shouls subside in a day, maybe 2

An even better spent $35 would be to get a refractometer. Much Much more exact than the swing arm ones. Mine was off .03-. 04 when I compared.

Also I just went back and read page 2, sumps and refugiums are pretty much identical, just have slight differences, I'm not sire how you'd do a refugium being as to how your tank isn't drilled but someone else can explain that, my refugium consists of 2 10 gallon rubbermaid containers attached by a 3 inch pvc pipe about 3/4 down. My piping comes down and sprinkles water into the first container, which has about 4" of sand and chaeto , it then passes through the filtered pvc piping into the second container which has the return pump and protein skimmer. Its def more than worth it to set one up, once established, a decent refugium will cut down a lot of the bad chems. I'd recommend going the rubbermaid route because not only do you not have to chamber them, if for any reason you'd need to remove them, simply drain and disconnect

negligent_inmate said:
Also I just went back and read page 2, sumps and refugiums are pretty much identical, just have slight differences, I'm not sire how you'd do a refugium being as to how your tank isn't drilled but someone else can explain that, my refugium consists of 2 10 gallon rubbermaid containers attached by a 3 inch pvc pipe about 3/4 down. My piping comes down and sprinkles water into the first container, which has about 4" of sand and chaeto , it then passes through the filtered pvc piping into the second container which has the return pump and protein skimmer. Its def more than worth it to set one up, once established, a decent refugium will cut down a lot of the bad chems. I'd recommend going the rubbermaid route because not only do you not have to chamber them, if for any reason you'd need to remove them, simply drain and disconnect

He could easily use an overflow to get water from the tank to the refugium.

slitherbomb said:
Ok sounds like a plan! Lol. How much sand are you putting?

I'm thinking 40 lbs or so I don't want a skimpy sb but not a dsb either so I'm going for an in between sand level lol and I'm gonna go for the full lr in tank I'm think like 50/50 lr to br now for the base do I need special rock or could I go out to the woods and find cool looking rock and just wash it real good or is that a bad idea

negligent_inmate said:
I'd watch that hydrometer, I just used the same exact one while trying to setup my tank and it was all over the board, I'd personally recommend the hydrometer that you fill up and set on an even surface, much easier to get a reading. Imo I wouldn't worry about clouding the water, its only a 40b so the cloudiness shouls subside in a day, maybe 2

Yeah i know I'm not a fan of it really but perco gave it to for free when I bought it I told em it was for sw and they gave it to me so I'd figured I wouldn't buy one then butnit looks like I'll be buying one ne ways

negligent_inmate said:

Could you post some pics of it refugium and explain everything cause I might be able to get my tank drilled still bc I do have a diamond glass cutter

slitherbomb said:
He could easily use an overflow to get water from the tank to the refugium.

How could I use an overflow to do that bc I really like the idea of a refugium

An overflow is just something that hangs in the tank that gets water from the tank to the refugium. You can make your own out of PVC, or buy one.

And for the sand bed, make sure it is either less than 2" or more than 4". I've heard that in-between can cause problems.

slitherbomb said:
An overflow is just something that hangs in the tank that gets water from the tank to the refugium. You can make your own out of PVC, or buy one.

And for the sand bed, make sure it is either less than 2" or more than 4". I've heard that in-between can cause problems.

Do u have ne links for diy overflow and I'm gonna go with the 2" sandbed I think that will look nice and do the job and then I won't have to get 80lbs of sand lol

If you check my link posted in my signature, there's a pic or two of my refugium. When. You look at the pic, the container on the right is #1 that the water flows into, that bin has the sand bed and chaeto (which is a live plant), the bin in the middle houses my protein skimmer and return pump. Its very basic but still gets the job done.not trying to promote my thread but it does have some useful pics and info:)

Back
Top Bottom