Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-343110102.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	42534   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-618990641.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	42535  

Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb
I haven't set it up yet. It's going up in a few days. I'm new to saltwater too! Just started a month ago. Also, to get the right salinity right, I slowly add salt, stir for a few minutes, then check with my hydrometer. after you get the amount you want, let it sit for about 30 min. Then recheck the salinity to make sure. And of course add a dechlorinator!
Just rechecked my hydrometer and my salinity level went way back down so needs more salt lol and also do I need to out in a dechlotinator if I used ro water?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure. For sure RO/DI water doesn't need. Not sure about RO. Also, it would've been easier to put the sand then put water.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb
I'm not sure. For sure RO/DI water doesn't need. Not sure about RO. Also, it would've been easier to put the sand then put water.
Yeah I know that but I didn't have alot of money this time around so I just wanted to get the water ready and this coming weekend I'm getting the sand to out in there and my lfs expert told me some ways of putting the sand in there w/o much disturbance to the water
Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok sounds like a plan! Lol. How much sand are you putting?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd watch that hydrometer, I just used the same exact one while trying to setup my tank and it was all over the board, I'd personally recommend the hydrometer that you fill up and set on an even surface, much easier to get a reading. Imo I wouldn't worry about clouding the water, its only a 40b so the cloudiness shouls subside in a day, maybe 2
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

An even better spent $35 would be to get a refractometer. Much Much more exact than the swing arm ones. Mine was off .03-. 04 when I compared.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Also I just went back and read page 2, sumps and refugiums are pretty much identical, just have slight differences, I'm not sire how you'd do a refugium being as to how your tank isn't drilled but someone else can explain that, my refugium consists of 2 10 gallon rubbermaid containers attached by a 3 inch pvc pipe about 3/4 down. My piping comes down and sprinkles water into the first container, which has about 4" of sand and chaeto , it then passes through the filtered pvc piping into the second container which has the return pump and protein skimmer. Its def more than worth it to set one up, once established, a decent refugium will cut down a lot of the bad chems. I'd recommend going the rubbermaid route because not only do you not have to chamber them, if for any reason you'd need to remove them, simply drain and disconnect
Old 07-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate
Also I just went back and read page 2, sumps and refugiums are pretty much identical, just have slight differences, I'm not sire how you'd do a refugium being as to how your tank isn't drilled but someone else can explain that, my refugium consists of 2 10 gallon rubbermaid containers attached by a 3 inch pvc pipe about 3/4 down. My piping comes down and sprinkles water into the first container, which has about 4" of sand and chaeto , it then passes through the filtered pvc piping into the second container which has the return pump and protein skimmer. Its def more than worth it to set one up, once established, a decent refugium will cut down a lot of the bad chems. I'd recommend going the rubbermaid route because not only do you not have to chamber them, if for any reason you'd need to remove them, simply drain and disconnect
He could easily use an overflow to get water from the tank to the refugium.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok I wasn't sure on that aspect, then there's a complet explaination

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com