Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the star only has one leg left, don't get too attached to it. Being shipped "dry" it stands little chance of survival. You have ALOT of aiptasia nuking to do!! Best of luck.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Being shipped "dry" it stands little chance of survival
I disagree, I have not lost the first one from ANY of my liverocks.com shipments, It should grow the legs back but you will have to target feed it for a while.

I would nuke the large aptasia's and get some pepermint shrimp to keep the smaller ones at bay. They will keep them gone or at least to a controllable level.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have not lost the first one from ANY of my liverocks.com shipments
FWIW, If it did survive I would be very surprised. LR.com or not, a star out of water for a dozen+ hours that is also exposed to temp. fluctuations doesn't stand much of a shot IMO-even a serpent. Add ammonia and nitrite to the mix from the cycle the rock is causing= not good, as shown by the "shedding" of it's legs.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If it did survive I would be very surprised
I've had some of mine for over a year and 1 came in nearly cut in half.

Quote:
a star out of water for a dozen or so hours that is also exposed to temp. fluctuations doesn't stand much of a shot
Actually there is a small amount of water in the bottom of the bag, not much mind you but a little. In mine there was about a quart.

Quote:
Add ammonia and nitrite to the mix from the cycle the rock is causing= not good.

True but I still have a green brittle star that just went through a nasty cycle where we moved the tank and stired up all kinds of stuff from the sand and it's healthy, kicking and eating everything in sight.

The guy's at liverocks.com are very careful when they place a star in an order of rocks, they place the rock where the star can useually find a place to hide and then place some water in the box as well. I have odered at least 4 or 5 times, out of that I have 7 to 10 bristle and serpant stars of which ALL survived.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 05-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
7 to 10 bristle and serpant stars of which ALL survived.
Well I stand corrected! Don't try that w/ linckia stars. Serpent stars are very hardy, but the fact it shed it's legs says it is majorly stressed. Also, exposing them to cycles can't be GOOD in the long run.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea they are pretty hardy, I'd never try that with a linka .

Quote:
fact it shed it's legs says it is majorly stressed.
I'm not sure if that's a sign of stress or an injury. Either way keeping the water as stable as possible is very important to it's recovery.

Quote:
exposing them to cycles can't be GOOD in the long run

Agreed but sometimes it can't be helped, I mean if it's the only tank you have you just can't leave it sitting out on the counter till the cycle finishes.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 05-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure if that's a sign of stress or an injury
I've read stress. In this case I think that is the obvious cause.
Quote:
Agreed but sometimes it can't be helped, I mean if it's the only tank you have you just can't leave it sitting out on the counter till the cycle finishes.
Well, in short, that is why I think it is more of an inconvenience than a bonus to receive one of these in LR that needs to be cured after shipping- But we are getting off track now
Old 05-09-2005, 10:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well to answer your question..the starfish died..in many many pieces. There was some type of red crab that I didnt see until after the star was dead. I think the crab was killing the star and eating it piece by piece. I found the chewed up center near the hole where I found the crab. Unfortunately the death of the star left pieces all over my tank which caused the ammonia to skyrocket. I think the ammonia spike then killed the crab. So the crab got his in the end. After MANY water changes the tank is getting back to normal. Theres still plenty of life on the rock and now I hear clicking in the tank.. I think it's a pistol.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I think the crab was killing the star and eating it piece by piece

Sorry about that, I think it would have survived if it hadn;t been for the crab.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 05-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah well. If it wasnt for the crab eating the star I wouldnt have even known the lil bugger was in there. And by the time I wouldve figured it out it might've eaten a fish. Ahh the circle of life. I think i'm gonna take my frustrations out by buying some crab legs tonight. Vengeance is mine!

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, picture, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com