Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

My new 75 gallon setup. Opinions welcome (picture intense)

I've gotta thank Zack for putting up with all my questions over the last few weeks. He really hooked me up with some good rock. I ordered 30lbs Gulf and 20lbs Keys and I'm completely happy. I've taken step by step pictures so bear with me. I also see a few things that need an ID so feel free to shout out some knowledge if you recognize something.

75 Gallon setup. 2 maxijet 1200's. fluval 404. Seaclone 100 (upgrading soon..i know)

Hirocks.com rock. Great looking rock. Way better than the stuff at the fish store and it's cheaper.

Just after adding the hirocks.com rock.

The lr.com rock came wrapped in paper towels,inside a plastic bag, in packing peanuts inside this styrofoam container inside a bag inside a cardboard box ...nice packing guys .

This is in the keys rock box. I thought that was a bunch of dead bristle worms. Until I moved the rock and a little saltwater dripped on it. Then IT came alive. 8O

A closer look.

It turned out to be a GINORMOUS brittle star. The thing was bigger than my hand. Here it is inside a 5 gallon home depot bucket.

What is this?

He lives.

What's that old banana looking thing. If you see something on the rock just tell me what is is cuz i'm clueless.

I should kill that right?

What's the bubble gum thing?

The white thing in the center?

If I see anything else I'll take a picture. I also hear a popping noise. Just a single click. Is that a pistol?

Old 05-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool lots of stuff living. I hope it makes it through your cycle. Looks good.

Rachel

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.
Scatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm guessing bubble gum and banana are sponges. Not sure about the one near the end though (was that another shot of bubble gum?). The worm in "What's that" is a eunicide worm. My thought on that would be if you're going FO go ahead and add it, but if you're going to do corals put it in the fuge (or the toilet, your choice). I wouldn't want another one of those in my reef. They grow massively. Mine was over 12" and I'd only had the rock since November.

I'm going to say that those are probably aptasias but better pictures when the water clears would be good for ID purposes.

Single popping noise should be a pistol (mantis do a double click) but if you want to be sure take your rock and dip it into salted seltzer (bring it up to your running SG) and the critters will jump out.

Remove any crabs with black tips. The crabs that you later find with the fans are porcelains and are beneficial and IMO cool (she says until one of them grows big enough to eat something I care about, lol).

The corals that you have on there look like the one at the bottom of my sig. I can never remember the name of it!

Looks great, enjoy!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for the help. Already I see dozens of feather dusters opening up. I see a bunch of worms too. Unfortunately there are probably a dozen aiptasia of all shapes sizes and colrs in the tank that i can see. I'll have to get rid of those before it becomes a problem. I'll take more pictures soon.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks great! You are well on your way. If you are just cycling, you may need to do sme water changes to keep the ammonia/nitrite levels down a bit to preserve the life on the LR. This will prolong your cycle but hopefully keep the life. You have some great looking rock.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

More pictures.

What kind of star is this? What do i feed him. He's BIG.
His legs are 5 inches long.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

That is a big star for a hithhiker. Not sure if it is good or bad though. I would guess it would be ok. Most are.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

each arm is 5"? More than 10" across.....that is a HUGE hitchhiker.... 8O

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFishGuy
each arm is 5"? More than 10" across.....that is a HUGE hitchhiker.... 8O
well ..the arms WERE 5" each..before they fell off. I think he has 1 whole arm left and a bunch of stubs. I've done two 10% water changes. I tried to take out as much dead stuff that I could see. ammonia is about 1.0 right now. I'll do another water change tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool. Mike did you right (as usual) that's one nice bristle star. feed him shrimp, algae wafers, fish food, fish crap , ETC.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, picture, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com