My New 90g Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
probably a few water changes with a reef grade salt mix should do the trick, but if that isn't working, you can use sodium bicarbonate to raise it. just remember to raise it slowly.
your calcium should also be raised as well. i would invest in a 2 part additive, and get into the habit of checking regularly, so you get an idea how much calcium and alk your tank uses. also, remember that the more corals you have in the tank, the more calcium, alk, and magnesium you will use.
BRS has some pretty affordable stuff-
Aquarium Supplements ? Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate | BulkReefSupply.com - English

I have 2 part solution now that I dose with every night. 23ml but I've only been doing it for 4 days now. I have more salt coming in a few days (reef crystals) and I will see how much better/worse it is than Oceanic. I haven't had much luck with Oceanic as far as calcium is concerned so I figured I would switch.

mmm, I'm going to disagree. For the current stocking of corals you have, you shouldn't have to worry about dosing a 2 part solution. Regular water changes should be all you need to keep all your levels where they should be. You have a lot more soft corals then hard corals in there, so you shouldn't be consuming that much Ca.
The previous owner dosed with 2 part ca and alk AND mag. Now granted he did have more hard corals and a few more softies that I currently have but never the less, I will try to stick with 23ml for another 3-4 days and see where it's at. If it's not up to par, then I'll raise it slightly (the dose) while watching my levels to see how things go.

This is the frustrating part about new tanks; I feel I have some pretty neat corals and I don't want to lose them due to CA being too low or ALK being out of wack.

On another note, I came home from work and my tank was piping at 90 degrees! I have no idea how this happened, but I took the heater out right away to see if that was the issue. Our house gets up to about 84ish during the day (outside today was about 100) so it may have been due to that too. Not too sure but I've got a small fan on the sump trying to cool it off. I'm off work tomorrow so it'll be a good chance for me to watch it and see if it's the outside temp causing the spike.

Back
Top Bottom