My New 90g Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertfah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up a 90g reef tank on Sunday and I'm excited to learn all about this hobby. I am not new to saltwater tanks though; I've had various tanks over the past 10 years but never had any experience with reef tanks. I got this setup at a really good deal; one that I couldn't pass on. It's a 90g tank with about a 30-40g sump, skimmer, and powerheads. I added an AquaticLife T5-6 bulb light to it as well.
The rock work was already done by the previous owner but we had to disassemble 60% of it because it wouldn't fit in the buckets. So I spent the majority of last night zip tying and placing the rock where I thought it looked nice. I liked how he had a "bridge" effect with the rock.
At any rate, here are some pictures:
img_1148164_0_090310cb5088f20a6b834dbebed7d75a.jpg

img_1148164_1_2dcec2f8e60f85a04ff2cf1952b6ec91.jpg

img_1148164_2_8e4b19f4edf16ca42591cb02b8777fce.jpg

img_1148164_3_2ecf3dfb1b9d30e2f90ba1fe198d05a4.jpg

img_1148164_4_f40ff73c86d4759604501a9aa2d48026.jpg

img_1148164_5_b365e40e8effc6e83310bd401cbdd21a.jpg

Very nice looking tank. Nice pick up.

Thanks mel, I drove about 2 hours to get it and let me tell you....the rid home was BRUTAL.....it smelt like low tide in my mini-van and we had the windows down the whole way home. In the majority of other states, this would be ok, but in FL, the humidity is about 99% and it was close to 100 on Sunday....so heat & humidity combined with an empty fish tank but stll had the sand in it made for an interesting ride home, especially trying to eat!

All in all though I am super happy I found this deal and hope to make the tank something spectacular! I will probably add fish in a week or so.

I would move the rock as close to the back as you can. It will keep your fish in front and in the open and it will make the front pane easier to clean.

Looks great though! Nice pick up!

Here's my parameters as of tonight:
Calcium: 360-380
Ammonia: 0.0 - 0.25
Phos: - 0
PH: 8.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 (yikes!)
Alk: 2.0

So I know my nitrates aren't good, but I expected that with the move and all the garbage in the sand bed getting stirred up. But what about the Alkalinity? That seems low.....thoughts? Suggestions?

I hate them for the same reason. They are worse then GSP. They choked out a couple zoa colonies in my last tank.

I hate them for the same reason. They are worse then GSP. They choked out a couple zoa colonies in my last tank.
i didn't have the same experience. they didn't seem to effect anything that was taller than they were. i didn't keep zoas so i can't speak for those.

Here's my parameters as of tonight:
Calcium: 360-380
Ammonia: 0.0 - 0.25
Phos: - 0
PH: 8.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 (yikes!)
Alk: 2.0

So I know my nitrates aren't good, but I expected that with the move and all the garbage in the sand bed getting stirred up. But what about the Alkalinity? That seems low.....thoughts? Suggestions?

Bump for comments on water numbers.....

your nitrate level isn't bad at all. i wouldn't worry about it. i'd be more concerned with raising the alk a bit.

I also vote on aquascaping that provides for space out front to swim. That, and the ability to easily reach and clean that front glass. Don't be afraid to stack and lean the rock against the back glass.

I also like to be able to reach and clean my side glass too.

I also vote on aquascaping that provides for space out front to swim. That, and the ability to easily reach and clean that front glass. Don't be afraid to stack and lean the rock against the back glass.

I also like to be able to reach and clean my side glass too.

After hearing this from Jim, I decided to look at how it was setup last night and it appears there is plenty of room to move the right corner stack of rocks way back, which will give a lot more room up front. I have a feeling I will eventually tear it down (it's held together with zip ties and puddy or some kind) and redo it, but only when I feel I can do it.

Oh ok. I'm new to reef tanks, how can I raise my Alk?
probably a few water changes with a reef grade salt mix should do the trick, but if that isn't working, you can use sodium bicarbonate to raise it. just remember to raise it slowly.
your calcium should also be raised as well. i would invest in a 2 part additive, and get into the habit of checking regularly, so you get an idea how much calcium and alk your tank uses. also, remember that the more corals you have in the tank, the more calcium, alk, and magnesium you will use.
BRS has some pretty affordable stuff-
Aquarium Supplements ? Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate | BulkReefSupply.com - English

probably a few water changes with a reef grade salt mix should do the trick, but if that isn't working, you can use sodium bicarbonate to raise it. just remember to raise it slowly.
your calcium should also be raised as well. i would invest in a 2 part additive, and get into the habit of checking regularly, so you get an idea how much calcium and alk your tank uses. also, remember that the more corals you have in the tank, the more calcium, alk, and magnesium you will use.
BRS has some pretty affordable stuff-
Aquarium Supplements ? Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate | BulkReefSupply.com - English

mmm, I'm going to disagree. For the current stocking of corals you have, you shouldn't have to worry about dosing a 2 part solution. Regular water changes should be all you need to keep all your levels where they should be. You have a lot more soft corals then hard corals in there, so you shouldn't be consuming that much Ca.

how are you going to bring up the calcium and alk? if the salt mix isn't working, you'll have to use some other method. if you are using a salt mix with 380ppm ca, it's never going to come above that. same goes for the alk.

Back
Top Bottom