Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

No you don't need to get moon lights..they are really just for you to view the fish at night and have a more "natural" look during night for the fish (but fish don't care if you have them or not). I go to 5 different lfs almost all really close to each other, and in one, the owner gives awesome info (slightly different that regular techniques), but he talks WAY too much. If I don't stop him he can go on for hours which doesn't help his other customers. Usually you can tell if someone gives good advice by the result they get. So if their tanks/corals/fish look unhealthy and uncared for, you'll know that method isn't the best. Everyone has their way of doing things and some work just fine and keep things alive and others make things thrive. I also don't really agree with that owner's advice, but then again, take in consideration that the economy is bad and they need to make money too somehow :L.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae17
Yes I did the aqua scraping :]

Yeah I think I'll go back to him for the water and ask him all this stuff you are telling me and see what he says.. My friends go to his store that's how I found him and they never had problems and he's a really nice guy.. But if I ask him all these questions and he still says I dont need this stuff I will look for a new store.

Also.. My tank came with day lights and actinics.. But no moon lights.. Do I need them?
You don't need the moonlights. You have the same lights I have. It's whites and blues right? On different plugs? What I do is I have the lights on timers. Blues first then whites with the blues. And then whites off and blue on until about midnight.

Great job on the tank!!

Now lets hope your little clowns and clean up crew will make it. I'm just baffled really about the whole not testing anything and how the thing came about.

So when you started you didn't add salt? He said just add RO water for a week then add fish and CUC?

I wish you all the luck in the world an were all here to help if ya need us.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and on a side note. You can point one outtake upward and on an angle to agitate the surface. It's always a good idea

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 09-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank looks nice! I too agree the LFS guy didn't give good advice. Like everyone else said get a test kit & check yourself. You should think about making your own saltwater too eventually cuz then you know what quality it is. If the LFS guy said you only need to test once a month and he'll do it for you , IMHO that's another bad sign. Sounds like he just wants to get you into that store as much as possible. So many of us have learned the hard way impulse buying something before researching or knowing about it, just because it caught our eye & looked neat. My guess is he hopes you do the same. Best place to learn is here on this forum (alongside reputable books, websites, friends, etc) and not the LFS guy as he is in business to make money and the people here are in it for the love of the hobby and only want you to be successful. Good luck & keep updating pics and info!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I remember years ago, when I was a beginner with a 10 gallon FW tank I'd go to Petsmart every so often and get what was appealing. Well several times I got agressive fish that weren't fit to be in the tank. However, once I bought this "bumble bee fish" I called it. Over time it grew to a massive size, and I thought it was peaceful (I didn't do any research on this fish). So when my fish started disappearing I blamed it on this smaller territorial fish. One day I found a dead fish in the bumble bee fish's mouth and I knew I had to get rid of him for that and also he was getting over 5 inches! I donated it to PETCO b/c nowhere else "adopted" fish and afterwards I found out that it was actually called a banded leporinus which can grow up to a foot and need 70 gallons min ! Worst mistake I made, I take full responsibility for my mistake, but goes to show that some stores will still sell you whatever to get money. Just a small story to show the importance of research. To this day I research everything before I put it in my tank and it has saved me lots of money, time, and headache!

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
No you don't need to get moon lights..they are really just for you to view the fish at night and have a more "natural" look during night for the fish (but fish don't care if you have them or not). I go to 5 different lfs almost all really close to each other, and in one, the owner gives awesome info (slightly different that regular techniques), but he talks WAY too much. If I don't stop him he can go on for hours which doesn't help his other customers. Usually you can tell if someone gives good advice by the result they get. So if their tanks/corals/fish look unhealthy and uncared for, you'll know that method isn't the best. Everyone has their way of doing things and some work just fine and keep things alive and others make things thrive. I also don't really agree with that owner's advice, but then again, take in consideration that the economy is bad and they need to make money too somehow :L.
See that's the thing.. His store is amazing and everything is in good condition.l but I prob should get second and third opinions elsewhere.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

You don't need the moonlights. You have the same lights I have. It's whites and blues right? On different plugs? What I do is I have the lights on timers. Blues first then whites with the blues. And then whites off and blue on until about midnight.

Great job on the tank!!

Now lets hope your little clowns and clean up crew will make it. I'm just baffled really about the whole not testing anything and how the thing came about.

So when you started you didn't add salt? He said just add RO water for a week then add fish and CUC?

I wish you all the luck in the world an were all here to help if ya need us.
No I didn't add salt just the ocean water.. He told me to run I for a week then he would test it for me.. I mean he seemed very knowledgable .. But what do I know lol.

And also the time I bought doesn't fit all 4 plugs for the lights.. Which one do you use?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae17

No I didn't add salt just the ocean water.. He told me to run I for a week then he would test it for me.. I mean he seemed very knowledgable .. But what do I know lol.

And also the time I bought doesn't fit all 4 plugs for the lights.. Which one do you use?
Your tank isn't cycled then, one week is too short to get any peaks and you didn't use any ammonia source. Not your fault though....

I used a 3 plug adaptor and plugged that into the timer and then plugged the timer into a surge protector. Did the same with the whites.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Axis-45091...apter/21054208

Old 09-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Your tank isn't cycled then, one week is too short to get any peaks and you didn't use any ammonia source. Not your fault though....

I used a 3 plug adaptor and plugged that into the timer and then plugged the timer into a surge protector. Did the same with the whites.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Axis-45091...apter/21054208
Isnt nitrate the end result of a cycle?? Taking timeframe out wouldnt 0 ammo 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate mean there was a cycle and that bb is present?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Isnt nitrate the end result of a cycle?? Taking timeframe out wouldnt 0 ammo 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate mean there was a cycle and that bb is present?
Or did i read those numbers wrong?

Tags
fish, new fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com