Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

You read right. I just don't see her tank being cycled with no ammonia source and done in a week? Do you think for off alone and one week would be enough?

I'm curious....

I'm not saying I'm right I'm just trying to figure this out myself lol.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
You read right. I just don't see her tank being cycled with no ammonia source and done in a week? Do you think for off alone and one week would be enough?

I'm curious....

I'm not saying I'm right I'm just trying to figure this out myself lol.
Ya im not sure either im just goin by numbers but dieoff of liverock is ammonia maybe there was a small cycle? If so there wouldnt be enough bb to support a fish i wouldn think, there will probably be another lil cycle when the fish were added or maybe the rock contained bb ? I guess well know soon enough lol prolly depends on how old the rock is and sand , i dont think its impossible or maybe there was no cycle because the lr already contained bb and the nitrate being present is from the dieoff who knows ? Lol but just looking at numbers it seems there is already bb hopefully it is cycled so there is no problems but ya i do agree that it is not common

Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I guess we shall see. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Ya im not sure either im just goin by numbers but dieoff of liverock is ammonia maybe there was a small cycle? If so there wouldnt be enough bb to support a fish i wouldn think, there will probably be another lil cycle when the fish were added or maybe the rock contained bb ? I guess well know soon enough lol prolly depends on how old the rock is and sand , i dont think its impossible or maybe there was no cycle because the lr already contained bb and the nitrate being present is from the dieoff who knows ? Lol but just looking at numbers it seems there is already bb hopefully it is cycled so there is no problems but ya i do agree that it is not common
Yeah maybe I'm just special :] lol. I mean my fish are doing fine so far.. I'm will be going back to this guy in a week after I do my first water change.. So I'm going to have him test it for me but I am also going to buy my own test kit and ask him a million questions now that I have my smart fish friends to help :] lol
Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok so on another note.. Say my tank turns out fine. My fish don't die and it's cycled properly and everything. I eventually want to get corals.. But I have no idea anything about them. Tips pleaseeeee.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae17
Ok so on another note.. Say my tank turns out fine. My fish don't die and it's cycled properly and everything. I eventually want to get corals.. But I have no idea anything about them. Tips pleaseeeee.
Haha, I say lets see how your tank turns out lol. But those lights you can have mushrooms,zoas,leathers,Xenia just to mention a few. Look at my 8 gallon tank. We have the same company and same tank.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah I know it will be awhile before I get corals I just wanted to know info.. All i Know is you need certain amounts of light. That's it lol. I want colorful corals too.. The ones at my LFS are all boring lol
Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae17
Yeah I know it will be awhile before I get corals I just wanted to know info.. All i Know is you need certain amounts of light. That's it lol. I want colorful corals too.. The ones at my LFS are all boring lol
You need light and flow. Certain corals like a lot of flow others medium to low. When your ready we'll be here to help!

Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok.. So I woke up today and looked at my tank and one of my clowns was missing.. So I thought aww **** it died. But then I look to the back of my tank where the overflow is and he is there still alive. I don't know how long he was there but anyway I put him back in the water and he laid on the sand for a while..BUT then he got up and now he swims around like nothing happened :]

He scared me though.. I need to find something to prevent this from happening again.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

It definitely happens. I've heard of perfectly fine fish jumping...I've also heard of fish jumping because of deteriorating water conditions, ie presence of amonnia. It can be a survival response (ie if caught in a puddle on the reef and jumping back in to bigger ocean. You might check your water parameters.

Tags
fish, new fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com