My new FOWLR tank and Aiptasia's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi guys.

i bought an existing marine set up off a guy, and got it moved and setup this weekend,

the anemenas are starting to sprout and i've noticed that there was one Aiptasia on one of the rocks,

as this tank is a FOWLR tank how concerned should i be with this Aiptasia and it breeding, i scraped off the offending Aiptasia, but i've just learned that it might create more of them, dumb more by me. :(

when i can afford to, iw'll want to add a coral. so yeah. any ideas guys ?

I've had good luck with Joe's Juice for killing them off. Peppermint shrimp also will eat the smaller ones. I can't vouch for the peppermint shrimp from personal experience though. I have a number of small ones in my tank, and I was thinking about getting peppermint shrimp to see what they do.

thanks haus

i'll see if my local FS has some peppermint shrimp i can add.

i really dont liek the idea of having to inject them on a monthly basis

Injection is the best way to get the job done.. you can not count on the shrimp eating them..you may spend $30 on shrimp and have them not even look at the aptasia.
Are you sure there aptasie and not majano anemonies??

My Pep didn't touch the aptasia, I used boiling hot water and it has taken care of the bigger ones. I still have some smaller ones that I can't seem to get to!
I only paid 9.99 for my Pep. so it was no big deal, but now he just feeds whenever I fedd the tank!

I found Joe's Juice to work great.
When I first started my tank I had a few aptasia, so I got some Joes and injected them. I think that I did this to approximately 3 aptasia and I haven't had anymore since.

I have heard the same thing about peppermint shrimp, that sometimes they will eat smaller aptasia and sometimes they won't look at them.

Good Luck!

We used peppermint shrimp and they did a great job of getting all the aptasia. With all of our liverock and the set up of the tank it was very hard to reach all the aptasias. The peppermints had no problems!

The problem with buying livestock to fix problems is that it is a crap shoot. I have been lucky in the fact the wrasse I bought, did indeed, eat the flatworms and I recently bought a copper banded butterfly to take care of my aiptasia problem. I killed the bigger aiptasia with a kalk solution and now the CBB takes care of the smaller ones as they sprout. I had tried the peppermint shrimp and well, they neglected to read the manual that said they were supposed to eat them.

my friend has a racoon butterfly in his tank that just demolishes the aptasia, but if you ever think about adding corals...you can forget about it. I had one aptasia and i just took out the rock and let everything in the rock die. Ive seen people try to kill it manually and it just causes it to spread more.

wow! loads of advice here guys thanks!!

i'll try and get some pics of it if it regenerates

i'm nit sure if it was a majano anemonie, but isnt a manjano a bad one too ?
i'll see if i can get joe's juice in australia

I just added some live rock to my tank that had a couple of aptasia on it. It is a small piece so I think i will just take it out and let the aptasia die. However I also got a piece that has a bunch of the small clear anenomes on it. Are these some thing I need to worry about. It is also a pretty small peice and I could easily just remove it to let the anenomes die off. Thanks.

Justin

Back
Top Bottom