my new project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d.dog_fletcher

Aquarium Advice Regular
let me start off by saying this will be my first salt water tank . i have dealt with fresh water all my life but want to make the change . i picked up this oceanio fish tank what i beleave to be 55 gal off my loco craigslist with stand for 50 .00 $ . i am not going to be drilling my tank only because i live on the 3 story of my apt building and cant afford for any thing to start leaking . i know i can do it with out drilling it just got to find out all i will need . it will have live sand and rock and plan to put fish in it i . i got to build my own canopy for it . the pics of the canopy is some i found on the net i liked and plan to build . well it will take me some time to get this going as i am not rich but i will up date this as i move along one piece at a time . hope you injoy and fill free to give me all the info you guys can .
img_1172491_0_25e282f0edb481d6b9fdca2461a77ddc.jpg

img_1172491_1_d07b53a92ebe112754c0ba449073a1a8.jpg

img_1172491_2_46a50ec76af953204319e005505436b8.jpg

and the canopy i plan to start building in the next week or so
img_1172491_3_90cb12e03be8db4f7d4e06b898008f5e.jpg

img_1172491_4_6ff5c050028d9ca146ecd6718e71efba.jpg

img_1172491_5_880fb0440b932ae1c446fc5c6fd291b7.jpg

Very nice!

Are you wanting to do a sump still or just use some HOB filtration for your tank? Buy dry sand (Aragonite) and avoid the live sand. You can seed your system with a cup of sand from a fellow reefer or from your LFS. You can also do a mixture of base rock and some live rock to save money.

If you are wanting to do a sump under the tank you can look at Eshoppes overflow boxes.

Good luck in your build I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes together.

the pump is going to be under the tank but will have two tubes up the back into the tank then i am going to be putting in the skimmer . i have a place here in phoenix az called oceans floor and all they deal with is aquariums .the guy that helped me today was killer nice and really helped me out with all i am going to need with out drilling my tank . first job i am going to be doing is black out the back of the tank with window tint like i used to do with my lizards . i was going to paint it but its easier for me just to tent it out black . going to this so you cant see the tubes . i cant wait to get it up and running myself . i miss my fish tanks

i would reconsider drilling the tank, because if you are concerned about leaks, a drilled tank has less chance to leak than one that has to rely on a HOB overflow box.

little update . i went to my lps today and put every thing on lay a way that i will need to start my tank up . i cant remember for the life of me what it all is but i will try to find the paper tomorrow and list it all . it is going to take me 4 to 5 weeks to pay every thing off but will be worth it when i bring it home .

I agree with Mr. X, drilling is a better solution if you are worried about spills and leask, and it's cleaner looking too.

i would realy like to have the tank drilled but i dont have the space to do it and i could clean up the glass living on the 3 story apt building . so for now i am going to run a fluval 405 external canister filter so all i got is two little tubes running up the back you wont see all the easy . i got a 48 t5 light for it now two . all in all i put 800.00 on layaway yesterday worth of stuff between the light, filter, skimmer, test kit ,power heads , . i should have it payed off in four weeks . hoping to have it up and running by my bday in feb

hi every one . sorry its been awhile since an update . i switch jobs and been working non stop between raising a son all day and working threw the night . any ways here is a few pics of what i have got ready for it . even tho i been thanking of putting it all up for sale because i really don't have the time to mess with it . here is the pics i hope you all like .

img_1193062_0_b35ee2721e326cca03c0a2ac6c090661.jpg

img_1193062_1_0d5048c53c0a60bd34e8c386b9fdf61e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom