Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomisboy View Post
No the rocks were in a box with damp news paper. Thats why i was ify about it being cured as the lfs guy said.
It can be cured and then shipped with damp newspaper, and you'll still not see much of a cycle. But from what you describe, it sure doesn't sound cured to me. I'd throw in a shrimp, like drm mentioned, and see if you get any ammonia. It won't hurt - at best, you won't see any ammonia and you'll just see your nitrates increase. At worst, you'll see ammonia and your cycle will begin... but it's better to see it now then after your first fish goes in!

Old 08-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #12
drm
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, OK.... but it doesn't seem like you have a cycle going on - so either you managed to have a 6 day cycle, you somehow had enough base bacteria in sand/water to balance out the introduction of your live rock, it really was "cured", or ? - If it was me, I would test it out still by adding shrimp and testing the water every day. Because either your cycle is done, or it hasn't cycled for some reason. You may expect a temporary bump of ammonia, but in a cycled tank it should decrease rapidly. Or it may kick off a more traditional cycle - which will be obvious due to the high elevation of ammonia and other readings. If you don't test it out, and just assume that it cycled, you might regret it later when you put fish there and a cycle kicks in.
FWIW - I did once buy live rock that came shipped in newspaper overnight - and had only the briefest of a cycle - ammonia bumped for a few days only, and the mini-cycle was essentially done within a week. That rock was being added to rock I already owned, so the cycle may have been shortened by the bacteria already present in my system. But it is possible that your rock was somewhat cured and resolved the cycle in that first week...

Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
drm
Aquarium Advice Regular

oops we posted at the same time.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have to remember that your tank "if cycled" is only cycled to the amount of ammonia added to the tank. You still have to add your bio-load slowly so the bacteria can build up and convert the amount of waste the new bio-load adds to the tank. In other words your tank is olnly able to handle the load to the amount that the LR can convert.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

First off i just want to thank all those who have replied and given me advice an insight on this venture.

Now on to buisness... The thought of not having enough aommonia was my first worry. And adding a shrimp was going to be my next move. But i'd figure i'd better post up my situation and see what kind of feed back i get.

But then i got to thinking... If there was no ammonia then why do i have a nitire reading? And as of this morning my

Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40

So my nitrite zeroed out and nitrate is going up...

Should i still add a shrimp?

Will my nitrates zero out on their own or do i have to do a water change?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, if your nitrite just got to 0 last night and your nitrates are climbing that all you need to do is a 20-30% water change and you should be good to go. The only way to reduce nitrates in your AQ is to do a water change. Nitrates won't go to 0 on their own, not without other factors like a Deep sand bed.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Will do a 30% water change tomorrow. Then wait till the weekend to introduce the first inhabitor(s)... Will two clown fish be too much of a bioload? Or should i stick to one initially?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrates going from 20 to 40 in that quick of time seems a little strange. Sounds like you're using water from the ocean, or did I misread that? Have you tested that water for nitrates? I'm just trying to figure out how you started your tank with 20ppm nitrates before anything could even start to happen.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com