My new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kueny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone tell me the specks on the lighting on a saltwater tank,i have live rock and some fish a coarl and an animami.. and not sure how long to leave all the lights in ..i have 3 sets 1 set blue,one white,and one hailieds..i would like to know which ones to run and when and how long..

Sent from my N9520 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What size tank? And how old is it? I assume you mean an anemone, do you know which kind? They need strong lighting. Opinions vary on lighting times, but from ten to twelve hours a day is common among keepers I know.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can someone tell me the specks on the lighting on a saltwater tank,i have live rock and some fish a coarl and an animami.. and not sure how long to leave all the lights in ..i have 3 sets 1 set blue,one white,and one hailieds..i would like to know which ones to run and when and how long..

First of all, you shouldn't have an anemone if this really is a new tank. Nems need a mature tank of at least 9-12 months, and very high-grade lighting.

How new is this tank? Did you cycle it properly?

Also, what lights specifically do you have?

The tank has been going for about 5 months before i got it and i tranfered all water and i cycled the tank and now i hav had it about a month.. and i check levels every day an they are fine..i have ha no problems

The tank has been going for about 5 months before i got it and i tranfered all water and i cycled the tank and now i hav had it about a month.. and i check levels every day an they are fine..i have ha no problems

If you actually re-cycled the tank then it is def not mature. Being stable and being mature are two different things, as BigRedsReef once said. Nems need a very mature tank, not just "stable".

I'm glad the tank is working out well, but the nem isn't very safe in the tank at this stage, if it dies it will nuke the tank.

Also, could you please clarify what lights you have? Type? Wattage?

I have had everything in my tank for about a week and everything seems to be fine witb the time i have been running the lights but was just checking if there were specific timelines..thanks

Its a 125 g tank

Still kind of soon for a nem. Unless the rock fully cycled and established (my current tank is only six months running with livestock, rock and sand a year plus) what kind of lights do you have and what type nem?

It would greatly help to know what lights you have.

We are not trying to tell you anything but the truth, so please know that we are just trying to help. Your tank is much too young to support a nem, and most individuals need to select very specific lights to support them.

Just trying to get the info we need to give you a true opinion. Don't want to lead you astray

Oftentimes new tanks that are overstocked or stocked with animals they cannot support will seem "fine" only to deteriorate in the near future. The most lethal part of overstocking or stocking with the wrong inhabitants is not immediate, and I would recommend removing the nem until you have a mature tank, and have guaranteed sufficient lighting.

Once again, if the nem dies, you will have a much bigger problem on your hands.

Regarding the lights you have, you mentioned 1 set blue and 1 set white plus a halide light (MH). I'm guessing that is 2 bulbs of T5 HO lights in each set. If so, this light will support your anemone if the bulbs are new. Sadly, if it's a used light you may need to replace the bulbs as they are good for less than a year.
Run the blues longest, 8-10 hours probably. Whites next about 6-8 hours and the MH about 4 hours.
Watch the corals and for any sign of bleaching. You might need to cut back times or raise the fixture some. If algae starts to grow that is a good indication the light spectrums are drifting to the longer wavelengths, meaning its bulb change time.

Thanks

This is the nem.. not sure the name ..and thanks for the info it is realy helping me understand my tank more..

Attachments

• 1399471897464.jpg
    1399471897464.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 59
Yes ,and i only have this one..but looking for one more b/c i have 2 clowns

They say the flower things are nems too but not sure.

Back
Top Bottom