My next adventure....90G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cookies N Punch

Aquarium Advice Regular
After I got my tank, my roomate and my gf got bit by the sw bug so now were all going to split a 90G project. One of my coworkers brother is selling his tank. Its a 90G with 50lbs of rock. He had about 20 fish at one time but they all died besides one so im sure the tank has some sort of bad bacteria in it, were going to go check it out tomorrow. I do know it has a lot of algae in it. But it includes the tank, the stand, protein skimmer, 50 lbs of rock, a sump, a wet dry filter and all the piping needed, and theyre might be more but im not sure. All for $500! Steal! I couldnt pass it up! Soo.....should I take the LR and clean it and recylce with it or just recylce it and kill the algae that way? What do you suggest in my situation. How many lbs of sand should I get? Ill post pics of it tmrw.

Sounds like a pretty good deal. As far as the tank I would clean it with bleach water. a couple caps of bleach in a bucket of water. Make sure you rinse it good and let it air dry real good.

If the rock is sill wet in the tank just take it out and scrub them good in SW. I would do new sand if it was me. Old sand will be filled with trash and might cause an ammonia spike.

Holy ****! I just went to go see the tank and it is brutal. The algae is out of control. Im going to get new sand, ill use the same rock but ill have to scrub the crap out of it. Im also going to bleach and clean the tank to get all of the algae off. How long should I let it dry for? Anyone have a write-up on how to perfectly clean a tank without leaving any remaining harmful chemicals?

I used vinegar and razor blades to clean my 150g when i got it...

before...
img_1101024_0_01ccb49b906c3b43bc412f5a10ca5b56.jpg

and after...
img_1101024_1_66e55f7d786f3e6b8ea64338304a8696.jpg

Nice! Hopefully that will be my result also.

After cleaning the rocks and getting LS, do I still have to cycle if I get premixed SW from my LFS? Or should I clean the tank, scrub the rocks, add LS, add tap water and cycle it? I'd rather not cycle but if I had to I wouldnt mind it because I like starting fresh anyway.

Nice! Hopefully that will be my result also.

After cleaning the rocks and getting LS, do I still have to cycle if I get premixed SW from my LFS? Or should I clean the tank, scrub the rocks, add LS, add tap water and cycle it? I'd rather not cycle but if I had to I wouldnt mind it because I like starting fresh anyway.

Tap Water? Get an RO/DI

I should be getting the tank within the next 2 days, but I live in an apt on the second floor. Do you think the structure is okay for the weight?

Also Im still looking for a direct "how-to" on cleaning the tank to make it chemically safe. Thanks

I would check your apartment contract. Ive never seen one that would allow a fish tank bigger than ten gallons above the first floor. I would be concerned with the weight of it as well. Hate to see you get it all set up and then have to take it all back down to keep from getting evicted. JMO

Alright so its actually a 75G. Were picking it up on monday to clean and set up. I just have a few questions about my stocking. Heres a list

Fish
1) Bicolor Angel
1) Koran Angel
1) Lawnmower Blenny
3) Green Chromis
1) Yellow Watchman Goby
1) Golden Head Sleeper Goby
1) Tiger Jawfish
1) Onespot FoxFish
1) Blue-eyed Tang
1) Yellow Tang

Inverts
1) Horseshoe Crab
2) Feather Duster
1) Pistol Shrimp
1) Scarlet Cleaner
1) Black Long-spined Urchin
20) Nassarius Snails
10) Cerith Snails
5) Turbo Snails
2) Fighting Conch Snails
5) Hermit Crabs
1) Sally lightfoot Crab

Questions..

I know its a bit overstocked, but I was generous when picking the stock because I want to narrow it down. All these fish are compatible. So...

What order should I into each fish/invert?
For inverts, how long do I have to wait for invert x?
How long should I wait for sea stars?
Anything I should add/remove?

you might have a mini cycle from the move so make sure not to put the fish in right away. Get some testing kits and definitely wait. I would also suggest getting a ro/di unit for the water, tap water usually has a lot of gunk in it thats bad for the tank. We almost had our tank crash when we moved since our new tap water has very high alkalinity. I'd start off with some cuc...a few snails maybe a couple hermits. Also whats invert x? The magarita snails live in colder water and will eventually just die off in your tank.. id skip getting those alltogether. Starfish need a established tank to survive, I havent been able to keep one alive yet! My tank is now just over a year old and i was thinking about trying to get a starfish again...make sure to research them to ensure they will eat debris and dropped food

Thanks for the reply man. I will skip the marg snails. And I heard starfish need about a year to go into a tank, but I was just wondering if all are like that. Im definitely going to wait and let it cycle because I have to clean the tank and the LR so im have no choice but Id rather do it that way. "Invert x" is just a way of me saying any invert.

ohhh haha i thought invert x was some sort of additive lol oops!
ya i heard about a year too so hopefully my next one lives. I bet you could get a sand sifting star fish..I've read that they will eat any food in the sand and you can always put some food in the sand if he isn't getting enough. They are not very colorful and exciting though...but they will keep the sand stirred up and therefore looking nicer.

when you use bleach when cleaning the tank only use a small amount like one to two cap fulls. no more. just rise real well let dry for 24 to 48 hrs. after that you should be ok to set it up. never mind didn't get to th second page

when you use bleach when cleaning the tank only use a small amount like one to two cap fulls. no more. just rise real well let dry for 24 to 48 hrs. after that you should be ok to set it up. never mind didn't get to th second page

lol its all good, yea i didnt use any chemicals, just a razor blade and because the guy we bought it from waited til we got there to start disassembling everything the algae wasnt that hard to get off.

Back
Top Bottom