my peppermint shrimps keep eating my nass snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alrite, I bought my peppermint shrimps to kill aiptasia, but I m unlucky, almost 5days and they haven't kill one, but they do kill one of my bottom polyp, and 6 nass snails.

the first 2, I would assume the snails were dead, but everyday they kept rolling my nass snails over and over again trying to eat them.

what's going on? should I remove the peppermints?
why r they trying to eat my snails, ain't they coral and invert safe?
or just another way the store get us to buy their stuff....

Last edited by a moderator:
100% sure that they are peps? I think it was Innovator that told me that if they get hungary and decide to munch, it may not be something you like. Them eating the Aiptasia is a hit or miss as well. I suggest that you remove them and move them to the sump (I think you had one if I remeber correctly) and try the pickling lime method.

100% sure that they are peps? I think it was Innovator that told me that if they get hungary and decide to munch, it may not be something you like. Them eating the Aiptasia is a hit or miss as well. I suggest that you remove them and move them to the sump (I think you had one if I remeber correctly) and try the pickling lime method.

they r at my refugium already, I remove the rock that has aips and put it in the refu with the shrimps.
will the boiling fresh water method work as well?
I m sure they r peps, they r actually the same as the picture I saw in most of the online store. i know they r similar to carmal shrimps, but I m sure they r peps(is it how u spell? LOL).
one of my thought on why they don't eat aips is they get used to pelles and other food from the FS that I got them from. they r more interested to my fingers than the aip that sit right infront of my finger LMAO

If you have a bad aiptasia problem, then it will mess with your params, but so will most methods, boiling water will raise temp., lemon juice/Joe's juice will mess with PH, etc... Pickling lime is actually a powder, not a liquid. If you have less than aiptasia nems, you should be fine param wise. If more than that, you may want hit them batch by batch.

If you have a bad aiptasia problem, then it will mess with your params, but so will most methods, boiling water will raise temp., lemon juice/Joe's juice will mess with PH, etc... Pickling lime is actually a powder, not a liquid. If you have less than aiptasia nems, you should be fine param wise. If more than that, you may want hit them batch by batch.

after a month of checking at night.
I only see 3 aips on the rock
one actually disappear after I put it in the refugium, one is closing day and night, not moving at all.
and the last one is the one I asked for ID before, it didn't come out for 2night.
I hope is the pepps di their work, or else if they keep eating my snails, I might feed them to my puffer >.>

hmm where can I get pickling lime?
and do I just mix it with the SW and feed on the aips mouth?

Alrite, I bought my peppermint shrimps to kill aiptasia, but I m unlucky, almost 5days and they haven't kill one, but they do kill one of my bottom polyp, and 6 nass snails.....

You probably have camel back shrimp not peppermints. They look very similar but have vastly different feeding habbits.

You probably have camel back shrimp not peppermints. They look very similar but have vastly different feeding habbits.

let me get a picture, cuz I don't think the FS that I went to will lie to me.
and I know they look similar but I don't think they r camel.

img_1030780_0_30ea9d0cfca467df7c1ba30e1e5abbdd.jpg
img_1030780_1_cb34a397829f6d005ba9483e4a8698bc.jpg

its just so funny, they will roll the snail over when they come contact with one.
Just make me laugh.

Back
Top Bottom