Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

My Plan

My tank should be cycled in about a week and i was searching different fish to get for my tank. I definitly want a clown to start off with and i was looking into a cleaning crew. What would be a good cleaning crew to get i was thinking of a Cleaner shrimp and 2 hermit crabs. Would this be enough or should i throw some snails in as well. O yeah i want to get a sometype of blenny as well for cleaning purposes.

AS for other fish i was thinking about a yellow tail damsel, and i would love to get a tang but i dont know what would be a good type for a beginner at saltwater tank and a reef tank.

My tank is
75 gallons that has just LR right now but will have corals in soon or a later.

What you guys think?

Old 11-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Cleaning crew = 1 per gallon. If you are wanting to go reef I would suggest scarlet reef hermits rather then the blue leg and only a few. Snails are going to be more important to the cleaning crew. Nassarius, margaritas, cerith and astrea snails are what I have in my system. You want 1 cleaner per gallon but not to start with. After your tank is cycled then start adding the cleaning crew maybe a dozen total to begin with. As your tank matures then you can increase the cleaning crew.

Since you are wanting to do a reer, what kind of lighting do you have or plan to get?

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 10,000 watt light along with an actinic light.( i think that is how you spell it.) I was told that this would be good for coral and a reef tank.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A mated pair of clowns would be cool the hang out all day together. Also I have a Goby/Shrimp combo which are like glued together Both are an awesome relationship to watch. I personally am going Crabless forever but its a matter of opinion. With a 75 gallon there are some cool options for fish. I would just spend a few hours searching threw liveaquaria's database to get a general idea and then narrow it down to like 3 choices and ask the forum for their thoughts. If you overdo your cleanup crew they will die. Start small like a couple turbo's and slowly work your way up a little at a time. The best way to maintain the tank is pristine water conditions. Have you setup a RO/DI purification system yet?

10,000 watt light ???? most light fixture's for that size tank are under 1000watts. could you possibly post a link to what fixture it is that you have?

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes i have a Ro DI system and i also have coralife light system on it.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf40us View Post
Yes i have a Ro DI system and i also have coralife light system on it.
The coralife fixture's are good is it a metal halide/power compact combo? How many watts

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 11-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do i need to have my lights on with LR in my tank during the cycly. I was told to keep it on due to the bacteria and stuff in the LR.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lights do not need to be on the only reason you would need the lights on would be if you had a photosynthetic coral. Leaving the light off during the cycle would actually be better because light can speed the growth of the undesirable algae that all new tanks usually get.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 11-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is the light i have

Coralife Lunar Aqualight Compact Fluorescent Fixture 65 Watt coralife 48 inch lunar aqualight 48 lunar aqualight
Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should be able to keep LPS and softies mushrooms polyps etc... Just not anemone's or SPS (hard corals) or clams or anything requiring high light. You should be able to keep low-moderate light corals

FijiWigi_Tank_photos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com