My Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank should be cycled in about a week and i was searching different fish to get for my tank. I definitly want a clown to start off with and i was looking into a cleaning crew. What would be a good cleaning crew to get i was thinking of a Cleaner shrimp and 2 hermit crabs. Would this be enough or should i throw some snails in as well. O yeah i want to get a sometype of blenny as well for cleaning purposes.

AS for other fish i was thinking about a yellow tail damsel, and i would love to get a tang but i dont know what would be a good type for a beginner at saltwater tank and a reef tank.

My tank is
75 gallons that has just LR right now but will have corals in soon or a later.

What you guys think?

Cleaning crew = 1 per gallon. If you are wanting to go reef I would suggest scarlet reef hermits rather then the blue leg and only a few. Snails are going to be more important to the cleaning crew. Nassarius, margaritas, cerith and astrea snails are what I have in my system. You want 1 cleaner per gallon but not to start with. After your tank is cycled then start adding the cleaning crew maybe a dozen total to begin with. As your tank matures then you can increase the cleaning crew.

Since you are wanting to do a reer, what kind of lighting do you have or plan to get?

I have 10,000 watt light along with an actinic light.( i think that is how you spell it.) I was told that this would be good for coral and a reef tank.

A mated pair of clowns would be cool the hang out all day together. Also I have a Goby/Shrimp combo which are like glued together Both are an awesome relationship to watch. I personally am going Crabless forever but its a matter of opinion. With a 75 gallon there are some cool options for fish. I would just spend a few hours searching threw liveaquaria's database to get a general idea and then narrow it down to like 3 choices and ask the forum for their thoughts. If you overdo your cleanup crew they will die. Start small like a couple turbo's and slowly work your way up a little at a time. The best way to maintain the tank is pristine water conditions. Have you setup a RO/DI purification system yet?

10,000 watt light ???? most light fixture's for that size tank are under 1000watts. could you possibly post a link to what fixture it is that you have?

Yes i have a Ro DI system and i also have coralife light system on it.

Do i need to have my lights on with LR in my tank during the cycly. I was told to keep it on due to the bacteria and stuff in the LR.

Lights do not need to be on the only reason you would need the lights on would be if you had a photosynthetic coral. Leaving the light off during the cycle would actually be better because light can speed the growth of the undesirable algae that all new tanks usually get.

You should be able to keep LPS and softies mushrooms polyps etc... Just not anemone's or SPS (hard corals) or clams or anything requiring high light. You should be able to keep low-moderate light corals

I would like to get a Tang or Trigger fish but it is hard to find a Tang that does not grow over a foot long, and the Triggers are coral killers hahaha.

I like the yellow tang and i really like the blue tang but they get to big for my tank. I also like the Blue throated trigger which is practically the only trigger i could get that is coral safe.

Should i go for a Yellow tang or a blue throated trigger right off the start or should i just get some clowns and damsels to get my tank established better.

Thanks

Blue and yellow hippo tang's are really nice. What if i do a Clown fish or two with a Hippo tang would that be kewl. To be honest that is all the fish i will put in i hate over doing my tank. I found out when i did fresh water for about 4 years that the less fish = less head aches. I will also do a cleaning gobi or blenny as well with crabs and snails.

Do snails and crabs add a lot to the bio load in a tank?

May I suggest a Yellow eyed Kole tang for the tang. They are very hardy. They also do a good job picking on the rocks and tank glass.

Ok guys i have been getting alot of different feed back on a tang for my 75 gallon tank. however if i put anytype of tang in my tank it will not leave much room for other fish (clown and gobby or 2 clowns). If i were to put a tang in there with those fish they would have to be small such as no bigger than 8 inches. Alot of the Tangs i looked at talked about on this thread are 12 inches or bigger at full size. What Tang would you suggest that doesnt get to big. (smaller than 9 inches) I plan on the tang being the show fish in my tank.

Right now im thinking
A tang of some sort
2 other fish (but im not sure what kind maybe 2 types of clowns)
Cleaning crew

Oh yeah is there any type of angel or butterfly that you would suggest that would be reef safe and good for a begginer salt water keeper.

I tend to agree with the rest.
What size tank are we talking?

Back
Top Bottom