My Plan for the Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

OK I got a 30 gallon hex tank (ive already posted pics of it before)

Anyway, I have ordered 30 pounds of Aragamax sand which should give me something like 2.5" deep sand bed.

The guy I got the tank from lives by the ocean, and he said he would go look for some good-looking base rocks to put in there. So that will be the decor for the tank for the most part.

Now, I may eventually get some corals, but here is the stuff I was thinking of putting in there:
1 Damselfish
1 Wrasse
2 Clowns
2 Anenomoe
1 Goby (Maderin maybe)
A few hermits
A few snails
2 seastars
1 Blue Tang

What do you think???

The tang needs much more room than 30 gallons. The mandarin goby is a difficult fish to keep -- they need a large, well established system or else they typically starve. And the anemone will also require a well established system (many recommend at least a one year old aquarium).

The key here is to go slooooow. The damsels are good, hearty beginner fish, but can be aggressive. Chromis might be a better first-fish. I had good luck with false percs as starter fish, but make sure the cycle is fully complete. You're going to be limited by both the size and shape of your tank -- the tall & thin design doesn't leave as much room for swimming as something short and long. But you can still have some fun stuff in there, so don't be discouraged that some of your first thoughts won't work out.

Ok, this probably isnt what you want to hear, but you wont be able to keep a blue tang in that tank they needs lots of room to swim, most recommend i think a 75 or so, and your probably very limited on size and selection, think about 3-4 fish tops because of the shape, a mandarin goby will need to be added after a good 6-8 months, a year is better, they are hard to feed and eat copepods and such(live foods), so they are best introduced to a mature tank, the anemones are also very finicky and a mature tank is also a good idea, as well as more intense lighting, like PCs, im not sure about seastars, and damsles can get nasty, the clowns are best added at the same time to help them keep from fighting ,and the smaller the better, wrasse, it all depends on which one,

I'll third the advice...no to the tang. I'll also add my concern over the mandarin (until the tank is very mature..then only maybe) and the anemone(s).

Have a look at my gallery, sounds like your tank will be similar to mine!

I agree about avoiding a dragonet (manderin 'goby'), they usually need a lot of live rock to do well- I've read that they need at least 75 lbs. I wasn't able to keep one in my 55 gallon tank. You might consider a hawkfish and/or a cardinal fish instead of the Tang and the Dragonet

OK Ill scratch the tang and manderin than.
Good choice. Honestly, manderins have very specific dietary needs and require a lot more LR then you can get in a 30. Hold off on the anemones as well, they require mature and very stable systems. If you are interested in corals and anemones, you wil need to ugrade your lighting. Hex tanks present a little more of a problem as reef tanks. this is due, in part, to their depth (need very intense light to penetrate the depth) and the lack of surface area (less gas exchange). However, Brad's gallery proves that it can be done. Good luck in the set up and remember to take things slow.

Actually the tank I saw it in in the LFS had hardly any live rock in there. It had one big peice, and a few smaller pecies, but it really didnt have very much at all.

The guy that I bought it from said he used anenomaoes in there before, so I am thinking nothing has changed and I might try it in a few months once I have it more setup.

zacdl said:
The guy that I bought it from said he used anenomaoes in there before, so I am thinking nothing has changed and I might try it in a few months once I have it more setup.

But everything has changed -- the tank has been empty between the last owner and now, so you're starting over. It's so tempting to pack a new tank full of interesting stuff, but it will burn you (I've been there!). Patience is key.

He said the first things he bought were a clown and anenomae and they were just fine.

You asked for opinions from the life experiences of many. There's nothing saying that you have to follow them, but the voice of experience has spoken. If they live great and if they don't then you'll have the experience to pass on too.

Good to hear that you're going to wait until your tank is running for a little while before adding them. As said before patience is the key to sucessful saltwater. Another thing that I heard often when I was first setting up my tank was "nothing good happens fast in this hobby"!

Good luck!

zacdl said:
He said the first things he bought were a clown and anenomae and they were just fine.

Well I'm not going to get in an argument with you over it -- I'm just trying to help save you some money & aggravation. I think if you'll read the other responses to your question you'll see that the consensus is that an anemone is not a good early addition.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom