Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-31-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
My Plan, Please view and comment

I am considering eventually turning my malawi tank into a marine tank.
The tank is 36, 12, 18 inches this is approximately 33 gals (US) or 29 gals (uk). I have begun doing my research.

How many ibis of sand will I need for a tank this size ?
Would this be ok ?

The tank already consists of tufa rock and also some oceanic rock.
I am not sure how much live rock I will purchase but I can tell you that it will not be much!

I will add fake ornaments of corals etc .... and may even get some anemone's.

Would a protein skimmer like this be ok?

I need to purchase a hardometer, wich i can at my local store. There is already a internal filter in the tank, which has a strong current outlet. I also would add a powerhead at the other end of the tank for some more current.

I would obviously need salt mix. I already have the heater as well.

This is the tank that might eventually (long time) turn into a saltwater.

Steven A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Please View and comment.

Old 08-01-2005, 05:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Please can some one help me 8)
Old 08-01-2005, 07:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
The lees skimmer has a good reputation (for an airstone skimmer). I would not however use one. I would get another skimmer such as a HOT skimmer for your tank such as a cpr or a prizm. I have a prizm and am happy with its output. As far as sand it depends on how much you want and for what purpose. Two bags should be plenty for that tank. Depending on the output of your filter you may need two powerheads for this tank...

Good luck.
Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
There is a sand calculator in the calculator link at the top of the page. You can also save money if you can find the aragnite playsand that is in several threads on here. I would stay away from the fake decor personally. Use that money to buy more LR. The fake decorations will just get covered with algae and settlement and have to be cleaned. HTH
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to krap101
i got some from home depot (aragnite)
~ Danny
krap101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm jealous of your home depot sand. Soooooo much cheaper and you can seed it with just a little live sand from someone elses tank or a small 10 pound bag from a LFS.
As for the amount of sand, about 1lb per gallon should do it.
The CPR bak-pak 2 is what most people swear by unless you go expensive.
39 gallon (2yrs) 40lbs live sand. 23 lbs LR (still collecting) , 1 turbo snail, 5 Nasarius snails, 10 blue knuckle hermits, 1 zebra hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 5 red tip hermits, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Blue Damsel, ? Ricordia, candy cane coral.

135gallon (2 months)
125lbs live sand, 100lbs live rock, 2 175W Metal Halide, 1 175W VHO Actinic (so far). Berlin Protein Skimmer in 40 Gallon Sump. 2 Maxi Jet 1200's. 10 Nassarius, 10 mexican turbos, 10 astreas, 20 Blue Leg Hermits, 20 Scarlet Hermits, 5 Emerald crabs, 5 peppermint shrimp. 1 Copper Band butterfly, 2 False Perculas, 1 Javanese Damsel.
StrongBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't skimp on the skimmer. Between LR and the skimmer, this will be your best filtration and cleaning.
Always go with a bigger size than what the manufactuer suggests for the skimmer. For your tank, I would second the CPR bak-pak as well.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
They might not have HD in England.....
LR IMO is very important and one thing you should not skimp on. Using a cheap skimmer is fine if thats all you can afford, but you will have to make up for the lack of performance by doing water changes.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am use to doing water changes once or twice a week so I am not really bothered about that lol.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com